Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:48 pm by Cristina   2 comments
News-antique.com has an article on movie posters collectors and the sky-high prices these posters are reaching these days. The 1939 version of Wuthering Heights is no exception:

... a near mint one-sheet of the 1939 version of Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights starring Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier is priced at $3,000.

Sheesh! It's even more expensive than an English first edition of Shirley or an American first edition of the Poems! So if you have about $3,000 to spend - you have quite a choice.

For even more expensive collectors' items see this old post or froogle away.

(Alas, we found the picture of the poster online - it's no scan of one of our own. Though you probably guessed that already :P)

Categories: , ,

2 comments:

  1. I mean, I guess I understand book collecting. For those with that bent, it's nice to hold in one's hand something with some historical weight. But I really like reading books more than I like owning books (and that's a complete, flat-out lie since I buy books the way other people buy papertowels: often and in bulk).

    What I should say, rather, is that I like owning books to read them, not owning books to own them.

    And movie posters? I guess. If you want your house to look like a 14-year-old Tarantino wannabe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you'd pay a small fortune for a book you've never read. When you spend $10,000 in a book it's because you have already read it and loved it.

    It must be a big responsibility - or it would be to me - to won a first edition, but it must be thrilling to own one of your all-time favourite book if you can afford it. As you say, "it's nice to hold in one's hand something with some historical weight."

    As for movie posters - there are movie posters and movie posters. I wouldn't hang an American Pie poster on my wall even if you paid me but an oldie sometimes looks nice. Just one or two - not enough to paper your walls with them! :P

    ReplyDelete