Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    6 days ago

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:45 pm by M. in , , , ,    No comments
From BrontëBlog, we want to express our solidarity with Lynn-Marie Cunliffe after this hell of a week. You can read her own summary of everything happening on her blog and/or read this story at The Telegraph & Argus:
A woman portrayed by national media as living as Charlotte Brontë has said her business has been ruined by the false claims. (...)

She said she had been told the article would be about tourism and her business Abigails Ateliers. She said she had approved a different version of the story and had broken down in tears when she had read what was eventually printed.
“I have spent three years building up my business and now I am afraid it is ruined,” she said. “I spent a lot of time building up my online presence and now when you put my name in to a search engine there is a story about a crazy lady who thinks she is Charlotte Brontë." (Kathryn Bradley)
The Boston Globe reviews Jean Luc Godard's Week End (1967):
Easy enough to summarize, “Weekend’’ is fairly impossible to describe. An affluent French couple, Corinne and Roland (Mireille Darc and Jean Yanne), head off in a sporty convertible for a weekend getaway. They do eventually get to Oinville (what a name), but only after days filled with congested traffic and car crashes and absurdist encounters. Emily Brontë turns up. (Mark Feeney)
The Victoria Times Colonist's readers talk about favourite books
The book was Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. Handwritten inside the cover was "To Sandra, From Granny, Christmas 1975."
This Christmas gift from my grandmother was the first classic book that I had ever read.
And as a teenage girl, I was completely transported to the Yorkshire Moors and into the lives of Catherine and Heathcliff and their tragic love story.
Brontë's talented writing made quite an impression on me and I loved this feeling of entering a world unknown to me. I am sure it is that book that made me want to continue to read more classics and many other wonderful authors.
My grandmother passed away many years ago now, but I still treasure the Wuthering Heights she gave me and every time I look at it, I feel a great appreciation for my very dear "Granny" and the real gift she gave me, the love of reading. (Sandra Nuttal)
Elle Magazine (UK) interviews Robin Wright:
Now that my kids are out of the house I'm finally able to get to the classics I've never read: Emily Brontë, Dylan Thomas, Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22'. It's endless. They're all in a gigantic pile next to my bed.
The Lincoln Journal Star announces that the exhibition Cut! Costume and the Cinema will be at The Durham Museum (Omaha) until April 29.

Future Movies reviews Fritz Lang's Secret Beyond the Door 1947:
As well drawing on the Bluebeard legend (itself the basis for Edgar G. Ulmer’s 1944 film Bluebeard), there are shades of other Hitchcock classics (Suspicion, Rebecca) and even Jane Eyre. (Matt McAllister)
The Lancaster Intelligencer Journal wonders about the slow death of the snail mail:
Last summer, when Constance Renfrow went to England to study the Brontë sisters, she held with a gloved hand a pencil drawing done by Anne Brontë, the youngest of the literary sisters. On the back of the portrait was a handwritten note.
"Holding something that [Anne Brontë] actually touched was an incredible experience," Renfrow recalled, adding dryly, "I don't think it would be the same experience if you held Amy Tan's laptop." (Suzanne Cassidy)
The Times asks Tina Leonard about consumer rights:
“I bought tickets recently for Wuthering Heights but, when I got to the cinema, I discovered my friend already had a ticket. I requested a refund and the box office.agreed to give me a gift voucher, even though it didn’t have to give me anything,” she said. (Niall Brady)
Becky Roberts. Film Reviews posts about Wuthering Heights 2011 and Mi Siglo talks about Charlotte Brontë and Jane Eyre (in Spanish).

0 comments:

Post a Comment