Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Thursday, August 01, 2024

Thursday, August 01, 2024 9:51 am by Cristina in , , , , , ,    No comments
Tehran Times reports that there is a new translation of Shirley into Persian by Lida Tarzi.
A new translation of the Novel “Shirley, A Tale” written by the English novelist Charlotte Brontë has been released in bookstores across Iran.
Lida Tarzi has translated the book into Persian and Neyestan Publishers has printed it in 296 pages, Mehr reported.
While in South Korea, The Chosun reports that, 'Korean publishers get creative to survive shrinking literary market' and do things like this:
Unexpected combinations also attract attention. Minumsa has teamed up with YES24 and Emart24 for a “Minumsa world literature home meal” event. Customers who spend over 30,000 won on domestic books, including Minumsa titles, at YES24 receive a CJ Hetbahn Cupbap featuring covers from Minumsa’s World Literature series. For example, Tolstoy’s “Anna Karenina” is paired with a Spam mayo rice bowl, Brontë's “Jane Eyre” with a chicken mayo rice bowl, and Wharton’s “Summer” with a seaweed soup rice bowl. The concept is “Books as daily nourishment, essential culture in a cup.” Park Ha-na, head of marketing at YES24, explained, “Since books are often called ‘food for the mind,’ we wanted to pair them with actual food.” She added that they plan to continue similar events to promote reading culture. Lee Si-yoon from Minumsa’s PR team noted, “It’s a great opportunity to promote books in places beyond bookstores, such as supermarkets and convenience stores.” (Hwang Ji-yoon, Kim Seo-young)
Louder Sound features Ms Amy Birks's second album In Our Souls.
For this new album, Birks has teamed up with original Beatrix Players members Helena Dove and guitarist Tom Manning, who have assisted in creating the backdrop for her thoughtful, cerebral lyrics. On her debut, Birks demonstrated her adoration of literature by referencing the works of Daphne du Maurier. This time around, her appreciation for the poetry of the Brontë sisters has driven three of the songs, In Our Souls, A Death Scene and The Dream
“We’re not too far from [the Yorkshire village] Haworth and the Brontë sisters have always been a part of my life,” explains Birks. “I didn’t find them through Kate Bush or anything like that. I was an English literature student and was always drawn to such strong women. I was even doing research into the music that each of the sisters liked and I just tried to bring their character out in each of them. It tests you as a writer and gets you thinking in a different way rather than it being just all about me. I was trying to consider what were they might have been thinking when they wrote the poem. I could relate to everything, it was quite natural and I really enjoyed it. I’ve used the poem The Dream in its entirety, whereas A Death Scene was a lot longer, so I just took the sections I thought would worked. I suppose I could have just done a huge prog song. Maybe for the next record!” [...]
Throughout her career, there have been those who have suggested her work has been overtly influenced by Tori Amos and Kate Bush. Such comparisons won’t be aided by encompassing the works of the Brontë sisters into her music, given Bush’s 1978 exploration on Wuthering Heights. Does Birks find the highlighting of these parallels irksome? 
“I didn’t grow up listening to Kate Bush but it doesn’t bother me at all,” she muses. “I think it’s wonderful really to have their names put anywhere near mine. It’s incredible, and the same with Tori Amos. When I was in my late teens at university, I was very much into her, but I was probably more into Natalie Merchant.” (Rich Wilson)
The Hollywood Reporter lists Emerald Fennel'l's forthcoming take on Wuthering Heights as one of '24 New and Upcoming Book Adaptations'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment