Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    2 days ago

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:06 am by Cristina in , , , ,    No comments
Bustle recommends '5 Books Like 'Death & Nightingales' By Eugene McCabe, Because Who Doesn't Love An Atmospheric Romance?', the first of which is
1. 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë
Ah, Wuthering Heights — the ultimate tale of angsty love in the countryside. That's not quite doing this classic the justice it deserves, but that's basically the bones of it. If you've not read it yet, make this your reminder. Taking place in the Yorkshire Moors, as opposed to the hills of Fermanagh, Wuthering Heights recounts the gothic love story of Cathy and Heathcliff — two star-crossed lovers who can't keep their hands off one another even in death and the afterlife. Like Death and Nightingales, it also features two conflicting families who are hellbent on tearing the lovers apart. (Emma Madden)
Ruidoso News features actress Margaret O'Brien, who played Adèle in Jane Eyre 1944.
An avid reader as a child, little Margaret was thrilled to tackle many roles based on the books she grew up reading such as “Little Women,” “Jane Eyre,” and “The Secret Garden.
“How many children get to play a character from their favorite books?” she asked. “I knew them so well, it was just fabulous to create them on the screen.” (Nick Thomas)
A contributor to The Daily is 'Tired of reading books by deceased white writers'.
My relationship with literature began to change after completing my first quarter. I was mostly taking English courses oriented in 19th-century ideals. I grew tired of reading books written by deceased white men. While our reading selections were spiced up every now and then with white female writers such as Charlotte Brontë, it was still centered in a European narrative that I found dull as a student of color.
With every new quarter came new classes, and with every new class I took on, I became more aware of the professors standing in front of me and the students who sat around me. No one looked like me. And none of the books I read had characters that resembled any of the people I grew up with. (Tracy Thai)

0 comments:

Post a Comment