Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    5 days ago

Friday, December 08, 2017

Friday, December 08, 2017 12:30 am by M. in ,    No comments
The new EP release of the musical producer Vera includes a song inspired by Jean Rhys's Wide Sargasso Sea, Nobody Else:
Vera
Nobody Else
EP Good Job, No Conversation
Ultra Records / Ministry of Sound
December 8th, 2017
The author explains his inspiration on DIY:
Lyrically, Nobody Else is a tribute to the Caribbean novel Wide Sargasso Sea by the Creole writer, Jean Rhys. The novel is a response to Brontë’s Jane Eyre, in which the landowner keeps his Jamaican wife locked up in the attic, allegedly because she is mad. Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of the “mad woman of the attic” and with this cool tone of tristesse, the book describes the wickedness, the Jamaican landscape and the eternal drinking of rum.

“This song came along in such a lovely way. I met one of my oldest friends in a studio one day and I hadn’t heard what he had been working on for ages. He played me this beat and I fell in love immediately. I went on to do a few things on top of it and a few days later his band’s singer and I met with Off Bloom who helped us do the vocal-melodies. When I got home that day I played it to my girlfriend and she came up with the lyrics for the song.”


0 comments:

Post a Comment