Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    1 day ago

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:51 am by M. in , , ,    No comments
Movie City News reviews the James Wan film The Conjuring:
Vera Farmiga, who plays most of the film like a figure in a Brontë Sisters novel, is one of the best American movie actresses around right now (so is Lili Taylor), and both of them give the movie soul and mind and a beating heart—a heart that doesn’t threaten to be cut out and stomped on, as in Saw and its gruesome ilk. (Mike Wilmington)
Postnoon (India) insists on this week's favourite topic, pseudonyms:
Before they were revealed, the Brontë sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne, used the names Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell respectively to get their work published. They also wished to ensure that no one in their locality would know about their literary aspirations and object. The truth came out soon enough and the Brontes went on to become famous under their own names. (Jyotsna Nambiar)
Apartment Therapy lists a series of possible reading nooks for your place:
Ever since my first read of Jane Eyre, which opens with her seeking solitude by curling up with a book on a window seat, I've dreamed of having a similar spot in my home. A reading nook is an accessible escape. (Kim R. McCormick)
Broken Pieces interviews the author Debbie Heaton:
What books did you love growing up? I read anything I could get my hands on as a child. Reading to me was an “adventure” and I couldn’t get enough. But Wuthering Heights and Gone with the Wind rank on the very top for me. Wuthering Heights made such an impression on me that I’ve read it more times than I can count!
Somusing has visited Haworth; Assemblage Art posts about a Wuthering Heights assemblage art tin, also avaible on etsy; this Sunday Times article plays on its title with Emily Brontë's novel (and Kate Bush's song): The wuthering heights of Bush, Beckett and De Burgh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment