Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:06 am by M. in , ,    No comments
More than a year ago, we posted about the new project of the author Sheila Kohler, a novel about the writing of Jane Eyre:
I have had a fascinating time reading everything I could find on [the Brontës] and particularly Lyndall Gordon's wonderful biography of Charlotte which you must know.

I think "Jane Eyre" the start of which an aunt read to me when I was very young--the scene in the redroom, was what made me want to write. Of course, this undertaking is both easier and much more difficult than the one I have just completed, as so much has already been written about the Brontes, but I have found that the book has mysteriously found a shape of its own: in three volumes with each of the sisters presiding over a volume of her own. It starts in Manchester with the father's eye operation--but I wont tell you any more than that!
Now we know that the novel has been finished and sold to Viking Penguin and will be published next year, in December 2009. The title, confirmed by the author, will be 'Becoming Jane Eyre'. An obvious (too obvious in our opinion) publishers marketing technique.

EDIT (December 28):
Now the title seems to be just Brontës.
EDIT (February 2009):
Back to Becoming Jane Eyre.

Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment