Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday, May 20, 2007 12:15 am by M. in ,    No comments
Some days ago we published about Sheila Kohler's new novel apparently centered around the writing of Jane Eyre. We contacted the author and this is what she told us:
Thank you so much for your interest in my book. It is, though, as you suspected, still at a very early stage--I have just finished a first draft and I have recently been very busy promoting my new and ninth book: "Bluebird or the Invention of Happiness" a historical novel based on the life of Lucy Dillon, a French aristocrat of Irish origin who leaves France during the revolution and comes to this country and becomes a dairy farmer.

It was writing this life and turning it into fiction that gave me the idea to do something similar with the much more famous Brontes. I have had a fascinating time reading everything I could find on them and particularly Lyndall Gordon's wonderful biography of Charlotte which you must know.

I think "Jane Eyre" the start of which an aunt read to me when I was very young--the scene in the redroom, was what made me want to write. Of course, this undertaking is both easier and much more difficult than the one I have just completed, as so much has already been written about the Brontes, but I have found that the book has mysteriously found a shape of its own: in three volumes with each of the sisters presiding over a volume of her own. It starts in Manchester with the father's eye operation--but I wont tell you any more than that!
Curiously enough, Lyndall Gordon is one of the (enthusiastic) reviewers of her last book, Bluebird or the Invention of Happiness:
A triumph ... Kohler brings the whole fascinating and terrible period of the French Revolution and its aftermath to life — a massive feat.
Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment