Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Sunday, November 04, 2007

There are also Brontëites in Bollywood. Planet Bollywood interviews Sonam Kapoor and she confirms it:
How frequently do you read books or see movies? What are your favorite books and movies?
Reading to me is a passion; something I do constantly, books are my escape and my love. Reading feeds me and is essential for my sense of self. Movies are my life and inspiration and my way to bond with my friends. My favorite books are Unbearable Lightness of Being, Perfume, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, The Fountain Head, Atlas Shrugged, Sister of my Heart….
We don't leave India yet as The Times of India publishes a digression about ghosts/hauntings and makes the following statement:
Stories of hauntings seem to follow the same patterns and, whether fictions derive from them or they derive from fictions in a chicken-and-egg succession or even in a ghostly, ever-more-twisted spiral, they belong together in the misty realm of folk memory. As literature, the Woman in White and part of Wuthering Heights and the stories of Edgar Allan Poe and H G Wells, seem to make points about life, memory, feeling, our relationship to the past and the cycle of moral cause and effect. (Farrukh Dhondy)
The Further Adventures of DeLuzy has finished Emma Tennant's Thornfield Hall and has a very definite opinion on its qualities:
Reader, I finished it. As dreadful as it was at the start and in its mid-zone, it became perfectly, unspeakably awful by the finish.
In addition to the wildly inconsistent characterizations within sections, the tendency to tell rather than unfold the narrative, and the previously mentioned purple prose style, there's a conclusion which evokes arch references to Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. Now, this would not be a problem in and of itself, and in the hands of a more competent writer, it might even have been rather clever. (...)
But really, when Mrs. Fairfax suddenly morphs into a parody of Dame Judith Anderson doing Mrs. Danvers, it's all a bit too much. I'm as fond of Du Maurier's tale as the next person, not to mention the 1940 Alfred Hitchcock film of the same title -- but there's just no organic character or plot development in Tennant's novel. It borders on camp, and I don't think camp is what she was aiming for. Intertextuality, undoubtedly, but not camp.

Proven Wrong is the name of an article from the 20th issue of Scribbulus, posted at The Leaky Cauldron. It looks again into the similarities between Heathcliff and Snape in the Harry Potter series.
I wanted a nice distracting book that would be nothing like Deathly Hallows – something to take my mind off it completely while I recovered emotionally. I decided to pick up Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I’d never read the book or watched the film, but I had a vague idea that it was about a brooding man and his long-dead love.
I quickly realized I hadn’t escaped Deathly Hallows at all; I had stumbled upon a literary precedent of the flawed lover/hero that is Severus Snape. Heathcliffe is, if anything, even more despicable than Snape, but they do share that ironic combination of sadism and undying love. Bronte had more “page time” to show this strange contrast in Heathcliffe. The readers are aware of his love for Catherine early on in the 336-page novel. Jo used only 31 pages of her 4,136-page epic to reveal the obsessive love Snape had for Lily. [...]
I’m glad Jo created such a complex character, and I hope Severus Snape joins Heathcliffe in the halls of historical literary characters that elicit conflicting emotions in readers for centuries to come. (RavenPuff)
Do read the whole article if you're a fan of Harry Potter or if you simply like to read about this unexpected literary connection.

The Tacoma News Tribune reviews Judith Thurman's Cleopatra's Nose, recently presented on this blog. Tales of the Heliosphere recommends Wuthering Heights 1992. Une Princess... In & Out The City introduces the three sisters in French.

Tales from the Crypt posts about the history of Hollywood adaptations of Wuthering Heights in Norwegian.

Finally, The Independent (Ireland) has one of those Brontë mentions that, out of context, can be a little bit bizarre:
The yard's Halfway To Heaven would not be running in the Irish Stallion Farms EBF Fillies Maiden had she not been so unlucky on her bow on Monday. It looks as though compensation awaits, though Charlotte Bronte will be greatly feared if the betting suggests stable confidence. (Irish Preview)
Of course, we are talking of horses here - an old BrontëBlog favourite.

Categories: , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment