Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    2 weeks ago

Monday, May 21, 2007

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:05 pm by Cristina in , ,    2 comments
Today we are all terribly disappointed at Ruth Wilson not having got her highly-deserved BAFTA Award.

But BAFTA Award or not, life goes on for the latest Jane Eyre on screen, as shows her chat with Malcolm Rock from What's On Stage.
BAFTA-nominated actress Ruth Wilson – who makes her National Theatre debut this week in Gorky’s Philistines - explains how playing dowdy governess Jane Eyre prepared her for her new role as a miserable young Russian radical.

Actor Ruth Wilson is a fresh-faced 25-year-old with few credits to her name but a promising future.

Wilson’s star has been on the rise since scoring the lead, straight out of drama school, in last autumn’s BBC One television adaptation of Jane Eyre, opposite Toby Stephens as Rochester. For her performance as the Bronte heroine, she has been nominated for Best Actress in this year’s BAFTAs, competing against the likes of Victoria Wood, Samantha Morton and Anne-Marie Duff.

Back on the small screen, Wilson stars opposite Maggie Smith, David Walliams and Michael Gambon in Stephen Poliakoff's upcoming TV drama Capturing Mary and has appeared as Jewel Diamond in ITV series Suburban Shootout.

She is now making her National Theatre debut, joining an accomplished cast including Phil Davis, Rory Kinnear and two-time Olivier Award winner Conleth Hill in Howard Davies’ revival of Philistines, Gorky’s darkly comic first play of 1902, which was banned from public performance under the Czarist regime. Wilson plays Tanya, one of several restless young radicals who hang out, have sex, dance, drink, moan and philosophise as the personal and political turmoil of pre-revolutionary Russia gathers pace around them. [...]

First big break
Jane Eyre. I haven’t done much, but playing Jane was without doubt my big break to the whole nation. It was huge. It’s so hard to have a big break early in any career but getting that opportunity was amazing. The producers auditioned across the board so it was a real lucky break. I think it was a Jane Eyre quality that I have: I can be quite plain, but I can also transform depending on my mood. I knew I could open her up even though she tends to be closed off and cold. The script came easily to me and sat well in my mouth.

Career highlights to date
Again I have to say Jane Eyre. I was in virtually every scene and there aren’t many parts like that for women. To film four hours of television in 13 weeks was an amazing experience with a great outcome, and the reviews were lovely too. [...]

Favourite co-stars
Toby Stephens was such a generous and funny co-star who made my life so easy on set for Jane Eyre. [...]

Favourite directors
[...] Susanna White, who directed Jane Eyre, did so with such compassion and understanding of the plight of Jane. [...]

Favourite holiday destinations
I go skiing in the Alps, it’s a family tradition. I went to Italy for the first time last year and loved it. Once I’d finished Jane Eyre, I just had to get away. I was going to do a cookery course but was so knackered I just lay on the beach.[...]

What’s the oddest thing that’s happened during rehearsals of Philistines?
I was BAFTA-nominated (for Jane Eyre)! Otherwise, it’s been quite relaxing with no disasters. Though I have to learn the piano and play it on stage. I’ve never touched a piano in my life. What I love about acting is that you have to do things you’re not really qualified for. Toby Stephens told me that he was playing a vet on a farm for something on film or TV and every time a sheep was about to be born he had to lamb for the cameras. What if something went wrong? We’re actors, we don’t know what we’re doing! Sod the piano, I’ve got lines to learn and a character to sort out! [...]

What are your future plans?
I’d quite like to do a film but I’d also love to do more theatre. I want to keep challenging myself with good roles. It’s harder for women because there aren’t as many challenging roles. I look up to Emily Watson: I think she’s amazing and her work’s always very interesting and emotionally connected.
We especially liked this bit:
Favourite websites
Obviously Whatsonstage.com. But otherwise I don’t use the internet much. I sometimes secretly type in my name on IMDB or Wikipedia!
Ah, she's forgotten all about us already ;)

While we're talking about Jane Eyre 2006: Book-a-rama reviews it and Jaybleland discusses the actors who have played the part of Rochester on screen. Toby Stephens is a clear favourite.

(Image source. Ruth Wilson in rehearsal for Philistines)

Categories: , ,

2 comments: