Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 1:29 pm by M. in , ,    2 comments
The writer Elizabeth Baines, author of The Birth Machine and Body Cuts, contributes to the Writer's Choice series on NormBlog. Her choice is Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights:

Which book has been most important to me? Well, how would I choose? Jane Eyre or David Copperfield, both of which, aged eleven, I bought from Woolworth's with my saved-up pocket money and which most certainly coloured my emotional landscape and increased my (already formed) determination to write? (...) But wait - wasn't I once asked this question before, and didn't I answer unhesitatingly, 'Wuthering Heights', because this novel, with its striking structure - a narrative within a narrative, yet containing other narratives, a layering of voices and perspectives - has probably had the greatest impact on my own writing? (...)

This week, all these years later, having had teenage children of my own, I read the novel again. (...) I began to realize: this was not the kind of novel I had thought it and that I believed it was generally held to be - that is, romantic or gothic. Indeed, framing the 'gothic' story as it does with the calm and rational voices of Nelly Dean and Lockwood, it is a novel which anatomizes the destructive, adolescent and selfish nature of gothic passions. (...)

So. I had forgotten that I had once cited Wuthering Heights as a main influence on me as a writer, and it turned out that in any case I'd misread it. But as I put down the novel this time I realised how far I had absorbed its real meanings and how much it had indeed influenced my writing. (...) As a twenty-first century writer I'm inevitably more interested than Brontë in voice, and prefer the more psychologically authentic-seeming interior monologue, but I know now who my mentor is for sure. (Read the complete post)
Another blogger with an Emily weakness is NeoVamp that has designed the following notebook: Inner Dimension Emily Brontë.

10 x 7 cm, collage made from an Emily Bronte portrait. 40 pages in intense blue cut one by one separately, embellished with beads and closure ribbon.
Categories: , ,

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm carolina, the maker of that notebook. Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very talented, Carolina!

    ReplyDelete