Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:30 pm by Cristina   3 comments
The Cavalier Daily has a charming article on the strange attraction all things English have for many of us - not least the Brontë sisters. In this particular case it was Jane Eyre that fuelled the writer's anglomania:

Ever since I can remember, I have had a thing for British stuff. I can only attribute this tomy early appreciation of British literature which commenced with my reading "Jane Eyre" at the age of eight. The story is fairly bleak, so I don't understand where exactly the novelty set in nor why I wasn't reading Nancy Drew mysteries like other normal girls.

Aha, that is the question! Or better: why is it that everyone else is not reading Jane Eyre?

Quite in relation with this, The Yemen Times has a very interesting article on tea, its history and role on society and literature:

It was a rage with novelists of the time to make a heyday out of tea ceremonies and drawing room gossips. From Jane Austen to the Bronte sisters and George Elliot and Somerset Maugham and E.M. Forster, none could escape the infectious grip of climaxes set around the teapot. Hector Hugo Munro, has put it very beautifully, “ Find yourself a cup; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about a hundred things”.

Lovely quote indeed!

And finally girls debate Rochester:

“I like George C. Scott as Mr. Rochester,” I muse. “Don’t get me wrong; Orson Welles had the perfect dark intensity to balance Joan Fontaine’s Jane Eyre, but there’s just something about George.”

“Doesn’t he go blind?” asks Emily.

“Yeah, but he gets his sight back at the end. Well, in the book. But in the 1996 film adaptation — the one with William Hurt ...”

Categories: , ,

3 comments:

  1. First of all I need to apologize about my english. It's awful, I know and I'm sorry. I just want to comunicate you that in my country, Spain, we've just read 'Villete' in spanish. It've been traduced by Editorial Alba, greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing to us. We know of this translation and we have posted some information about it. Please check this link
    because there's a really interesting story behind this new translation.
    Did you know that it's the first one that has not been purged or censored ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot!!! I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete