Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:29 pm by Cristina   4 comments
Publishing - in its different aspects - is what today's newsround is all about.

The Scotsman has an article on small publishing houses. Apparently, many of these brave companies are set in Yorkshire where, they remind us, there is a literary tradition going back in time:

The Pennine hills in Yorkshire have a rich literary tradition, which includes the Bronte sisters, who immortalised the landscape in novels like "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre", and former poet laureate Ted Hughes, who grew up in Mytholmroyd, near Hebden Bridge.

Apart from forgetting about Anne Brontë, they also forgot to mention that Ted Hughes's wife Sylvia Plath - both of them Brontëites - is buried in Hebden Bridge, a small village really close to Haworth.

We now see a trend reversing. A while ago it was all about how the Brontës were nothing but classic chicklit and cheap romance and now it's all about how they are much more sophiscated and beyond being classified as such:

Chick lit, then, will do until genuine literature comes along but when the real thing arrives, Bridget Jones is gone. “In recent courses on classic women’s fiction and chick lit, our students came to a surprising conclusion: they overwhelmingly preferred the classic fiction,” Ferriss and Young conclude. “They weren’t completely certain if that was because of the older novels’ intricate plots, subtle characterizations, memorable language or some other factor.”
“But they were convinced that although chick-lit raises fascinating cultural issues, it can’t compete with the work of Jane Austen, the Brontes, Virginia Woolf, and Zora Neale Hurston.” And most of their achievements predated modern feminism.

As usual, things can only be black or white. No grey, no middle ground whatsoever. Of course you also have to wonder - what do you see more often: women reading classics or women reading chicklit?

And finally an article about first editions. Paul Johnson writes about how he doesn't realy understand what the fuss about them is.

After all, a first edition is only another copy of a book that, no matter how famous, you may not wish to read, or reread. When I was 15, I read Wuthering Heights, and the next year Sons and Lovers. Both books bowled me over — I was devastated and exalted by this double whammy (not an expression we used in the years 1943 — 44) of subversive genius. But nothing on Earth would persuade me to read either again, not even possessing the first editions. For me, once a book of a highly emotive kind has done its powerful work, rereading it is taboo. And really, how else do you make use of a first edition except by reading it?

This gives way to plenty of questions. First of all, we think you wouldn't want a first edition of a novel unless you knew it and loved it well. Secondly, I would love to have a first edition of any of my favourite classics but what do you actually do with a first edition? I mean, do you actually read it? I think I would prize it too much to even open it, so it's a good thing I don't have any first editions. (I never thought I'd say that!). Of course, it all depends on the first edition of what it is - I am thinking Brontë novels. And thirdly, Wuthering Heights definitely needs more than just one read, doesn't it?

Categories:

4 comments:

  1. Johnson is quite right in stating that one does not have to own a First Edition - I wouldn`t *dare* to use it the way I`m using all of my books: leaving comments on the pages, mercilessly highlighting the most important passages in the colors of the rainbow! :-) He is wrong, however, in thinking he needed to read a book just once, for you simply cannot grasp a story`s layers, its emotional & psychological depth, by reading it just once. But then again, I have it on good authority that the male brain works quite differently, in the sense that it mainly focuses on & filters the "hard facts" from a text - lets say, Heathcliff´s strategy in obtaining both houses (the legal issues), whereas women are more busy with the love story. Only from that point of view, I can somehow understand what he means - he reads it, gets the basic storyline, ticks it off his lists and forgets about it! LOL! BTW, just look at him: what do you expect from a grumpy old man? :-)

    bye:-),
    Miss Eyre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting points, Miss Eyre!

    I agree I wouldn't know what to do witha first edition either. It's too imposing somehow. Though I only write my name on the flyleaf of my books - no marginalia for me.

    Do you really think male and female minds work so differently? I mean, doesn't it depend mainly on the person't character? I tend to be very sceptical when it comes to this kind of thing. Some sort of difference I can understand but that's it.

    I think some books simply need to be read more than once, and WH is one of those books for sure. Plus, one's attitude to books changes *a lot* over time, so what you liked when you were 15 you might realise you don't like anymore when you're 40. Or the other way around, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am no neurologist - have seen some documentaries and read a few articles on this issue - in one of these docus, it was proved live (via magnetic resonance imaging, if I remember correctly) that men and women activate different areas in their brains regarding processing of information. I am not sure if there´s a difference in the *basic texture*/chemical composition of the brain, but there`s a difference when it comes to processing information, imho. In addition to that -as you rightly said- one has to take the person`s character into consideration, as well as the social factors (upbringing, education, social status etc)... anyway.

    Yeah, true, you need to read WH more than once, for it´s such a complex book...

    "Plus, one's attitude to books changes *a lot* over time, so what you liked when you were 15 you might realise you don't like anymore when you're 40. Or the other way around, you know."

    ...you`re absolutely right about that!


    bye:-),
    Miss Eyre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the explanation, Miss Eyre! That was very interesting. I guess it could be true, but there's so many factors to be taken into consideration!

    ReplyDelete