Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:09 am by M. in , , ,    No comments
The annual Blackpool Festival of Light is coming and Lancashire Post has some recommendations:
An outdoor adaptation of Emily Brontë’s haunting tale at Brockholes Nature Reserve (September 1). Join Heartbreak Productions for this adaptation of Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights - a tale of two restless souls as wild and untamed as the bleak Yorkshire Moors. Make sure to pack a chair or blanket and a picnic as you settle down for the ghostly tale of wandering spirits and reckless love affairs. Children must be accompanied by an adult with a ticket. This production is recommended for children aged nine and over. (Naomi Moon)
Learning to love Virginia Woolf in BookRiot:
Those days in the public library took Virginia Woolf away from me. I let her go. I placed her with a series of authors I would never read – that I didn’t have the inclination to even get close to – and I closed her off. I placed her somewhere alongside Simone De Beauvoir, Sarah Waters, and all of the Brontës. They were authors I knew I should read and that perhaps, one day, I would. But they were, then, authors that I couldn’t even begin with.
Eventually, I came across The Waves. I don’t quite remember how I found it or when or where. I just remember the moment that I got Virginia Woolf. That I understood her. That I realised I was being an idiot.
Somebody who wrote as brilliantly as this could not be ignored.
“I feel a thousand capacities spring up in me. I am arch, gay, languid, melancholy by turns. I am rooted, but I flow.”
I began to read Virginia Woolf. I began with A Room Of One’s Own, a book full of a thousand quotes and all of them perfect. My feminism, I think, has been a little bit remade by it. I paired her with Simone de Beauvoir, with Anne Brontë, and with Daphne du Maurier. (LH Johnson)
BookRiot also lists must-read gothic novels:
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Lockwood, the new tenant of Thrushcross Grange, situated on the bleak Yorkshire moors, is forced to seek shelter one night at Wuthering Heights, the home of his landlord. There he discovers the history of the tempestuous events that took place years before. What unfolds is the tale of the intense love between the gypsy foundling Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw. Catherine, forced to choose between passionate, tortured Heathcliff and gentle, well-bred Edgar Linton, surrendered to the expectations of her class. As Heathcliff’s bitterness and vengeance at his betrayal is visited upon the next generation, their innocent heirs must struggle to escape the legacy of the past. (Annika Barranti Klein)
The novel is also in this Penguin list of books about wicked revenge:
Named after the Yorkshire Moors farmhouse where the story is set, Emily Brontë's first and only novel before her untimely death examines how a thirst for vengeance can, more often than not, destroy us. Now an essential classic, the book was highly controversial when first published in 1847 for its depictions of psychological cruelty and gender inequality, as at the time this challenged strict Victorian ideals. English poet Dante Rossetti described Wuthering Heights as: “A fiend of a book – an incredible monster. The action is laid in hell – only it seems places and people have English names there”.
Dread Central lists the best episodes of Tales from the Crypt:
Season 7 Episode 10: “About Face” – Anna Friel is let loose here, and Charlotte Brontë would be proud. Beautiful locations and plenty of practical makeup effects bolster one of the more traditional morality tales in the season. (Stephanie Crawford)
Cherwell discusses on masculinity:
From links of “Drill” music and gang culture, to young boys idolising Premiership footballers and Hollywood superheroes, to stereotypical family dynamics playing out in sitcoms-by-numbers across all the major channels, there are obvious ties between contemporary culture consumed by men and the people we turn out to be. This can’t be a recent development: how many young men who have tried to impress as Romantics in the style of Shelly, Keats and Heathcliff in the 1800s, or with a Beatles’ haircut in the 60s? (William Atkinson)
The Mary Sue talks about the upcoming TV series Dickinson:
I am not someone who gravitates towards poetry, but I have always been infatuated with Dickinson as one of the many talented female writers of that era who died so young (she was only 55, which is older than the life expectancy of a Brontë, but still young). I am looking forward to seeing how this comedy comes together to bring to life one of history's most important female (mostly likely queer), neurologically atypical poets. (Princess Weekes)
Youth Ki Awaaz reviews Aldous Huxley's The Genius and the Goddess:
This is in fact where, I feel, Aldous Huxley excels and it is worth illustrating how far the narratorial form has come from its early continental origins. If the collapse of feudalism brought with it the disillusionment in the faith of the ideals of the rural community, it also created a leveling in the temporalities in which the narratives of the lords and serfs were charted. Such a history, however, posits the breakdown of feudalism itself and the emergence of mercantile trade and capitalism as the telos of a process whose greatest achievement was the construction of a novel narratorial space which the German and early English Bildungsroman negotiated.
This movement is unmistakable in Victorian classics such as Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Brontë, where we witness the archetype of many a folk fairy-tale adapted to the form of the novel which was gathering steam in England. (Arsh K. S)
Charlotte Brontë is mentioned in a press release about terrible news we read in Outlook Magazine (India):
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” Charlotte Brontë declared in her nineteenth century novel Jane Eyre, loud enough for history to hear and awake. However, Haryana rose a fortnight ago to suffer, yet again, the disgrace of another girl child being dumped in a drain. (PWR)
Reader's Digest has a literary quiz with a very easy Brontë question on it. 4 Stars Films reviews Wuthering Heights 1939. La Bottega Dei  Libri (in Italian) posts about Emily Brontë's novel. La Vida de una Lectora (in Spanish) reviews Agnes Grey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment