Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    5 months ago

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:02 am by M. in ,    No comments
This recent post on the Brontë Parsonage Blog has made us aware of a recently available really nice children book about the Brontës:
The Brontës.
Remarkable Children Of the Moors in Their Everyday World

by Mary Alice Haigh - Illustrator, M. Haigh

ISBN13: 978-1-4257-4530-1 (Picture Book)
ISBN: 1-4257-4530-X (Picture Book)
ISBN13: 978-1-4257-4531-8 (Picture Book - Hardcover)
ISBN: 1-4257-4531-8 (Picture Book - Hardcover)

Pages: 36
Subject: BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / General
Book Format: Portrait 8.5 x 11
Reading Level: 0 - 12
Age Level: 8 - 12

Description
The Yorkshire Moors have not changed very much in the 180 years or so that have passed since the Bronte children, Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne walked its paths. Come spend a day with Papa Bronte, Aunt Branwell, Tabby – the cook, and the animals that live in the Parsonage on the edge of the moors in the little village of Haworth. Come along with Branwell and his sisters three, to walk the moors with them in this book, and join them in an adventure that is sure to get them into trouble.

Mary Haigh:

Just as the Bronte children knew at an early age what they wished to be when they were grown up; I also knew as a child, that I wanted to be an artist, for I was always drawing something. I received a scholarship from my High School, to attend the Massachusetts College of Art, and after I left school, I had many careers. I worked on the development of Radar during W.W. II, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Radiation Laboratory, as a draftsman. Next, I sailed to England with the Royal Navy as a war bride, and produced steam and diesel locomotives in a Dickens — like drafting room. For two years I lived in England, and one day, while riding on the pillion of a motorcycle, I discovered the magical little town of Haworth that was home to the Bronte family. I joined the Bronte Society. It opened up a world of discovery and a dedication to one subject. Back in Massachusetts, with children grown, I got my first studio in an abandoned school. I was 64. Once inside, the inspiration to write and illustrate Emily Bronte’s only novel, Wuthering Heights, resulted in my creating a book titled: - The Colorful World of Wuthering Heights in Watercolors and Drawings. - The task filled my time and mind; and for 10 years, I researched all over Yorkshire for details of life in the 1800’s. I wrote and filled 214 pages, and painted 132 illustrations for my book. It was finished in 2005, and needs a publisher. It followed that I would create a children’s book about Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne. One year I went out on the moors and followed the paths to walk in the footsteps of the Bronte children. The trip resulted in my book titled - The Brontes, Remarkable Children of the Moors in Their Everyday World.
You can see a sample of the book here.

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment