Regardless, Scodelario finally managed to prove to herself that she could do a period piece, but only after her agent convinced her to watch Andrea Arnold’s Fish Tank, and she met the director for the drink that she agreed to Wuthering Heights. She said, “I really wanted to open up and tell her everything about me. And the film she’s created isn’t a period film: it’s a new genre that is timeless”.
Unlike Emma, which caused the actor to feel she didn’t match the aesthetic of a Victorian literature adaptation, Arnold’s Wuthering Heights was gritty and realistic, but the crucial thing for Scodelario had to do with casting, as she said, “The biggest thing I think Andrea has done was keeping the characters young. If you fall in love at that age, it’s very different to falling in love later”.
Comparing these feelings to her fervid two-year affair with Skins co-star Jack O’Connell, she understood exactly what Cathy was going through, similar to her relating to Effy’s experiences, about which she said, “I was completely in love with him. If he’d told me to jump off a bridge, I would have. We were so young and going through so much, it was a strange togetherness we had. It was intense and magical and horrible.” (Gaby Shedwick)
0 comments:
Post a Comment