Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Thursday, September 19, 2024 7:39 am by Cristina in , , , , , , , ,    No comments
The Telegraph and Argus interviews writer Milly Johnson about her love of Yorkshire.
A place in Yorkshire that makes you smile?
Haworth. I have always loved that quirky little village, especially after Christmas when it was quiet and foggy. I used to skive off work and drive there and wish I lived there. So in my mid-twenties, I upped sticks and moved there, hoping to be bitten by a Brontë muse. Living a village life informed my writing so much and I met so many wonderful people and had very happy times. I was married there and had my children. Whenever I go back, I visualise myself riding a horse on Sunday morning hacks through the heather on the moors and at the time it felt as close to heaven as I was ever going to get. [...]
A Yorkshire view that inspires?
I’m back in Haworth for this one. The ruins of Top Withens, below, sent shivers down my spine when I first saw it and for anyone who is a fan of the Brontës, it is impossible not to believe you are staring at the ruins of Wuthering Heights which inspired such a powerful piece of writing. I think that Brontë muse bit me after all. (Emma Clayton)
The Telegraph and Argus also reports that Moor Lodge near Stanbury is up for sale.
Following an expansion in 2012 it was rebranded as Ferndean, in a salute to the home of Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre.
The move was in recognition of possible links to Charlotte Brontë's classic novel.
Research revealed the 18th-century lodge may have been the location Charlotte had in mind when writing the book. (Alistair Shand)
The Pioneer Woman recommends '50 Best Fall Movies to Snuggle Up to When the Air Turns Crisp' and one of them is Wuthering Heights 2011.
Just as dark, atmospheric, and mystifying as the classic gothic novel by Emily Brontë, this adaptation of Wuthering Heights explores themes of love, revenge, trauma, and mental illness when a young boy named Heathcliff is taken in by the Earnshaw family where he develops an intense relationship with his young foster sister, Cathy. (Macie Reynolds and Nora Knoepflmacher)
LondonTheatre1 reviews My English Persian Kitchen at Soho Theatre.
Repeated references to Wuthering Heights didn’t quite work for me, not least because some of the violence in that novel is self-inflicted: there is, ultimately, no parallel in this story: here, she tells herself to be careful with the knife as she chops up various vegetables, and indeed, she never draws blood. (Chris Omaweng)
Still on stage, What'sOnStage and others report that Adele James from Underdog: The Other Other Brontë at The National Theatre has been nominated as Best Supporting Female Actor in a Play for the Black British Theatre Awards.

0 comments:

Post a Comment