Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:30 am by M. in , ,    No comments
A jazz concert tomorrow, April 14, has a very Brontë connection:
Josephine Davies Big Band
Sunday 14 April 2019, 4:00 PM
Part of the David Mossman Jazz (Orchestra!) Festival
Vortex Jazz Club
11 Gillett Square
London, N16 8AZ
In a recent interview to London Jazz News you can find the Brontë connection:
LJN: Tell us about the main work which will have its premiere.
JD: Well actually there are four pieces that will be premiered, but one of them was written because the concert was provisionally planned for around 8th March which is International Women’s Day and I wanted to do something to reflect that. There were a number of poems I thought about setting to music but then I decided I wanted spoken word rather than melody over the top of the band. Then I thought that rather than use a single poem I’d take lines from lots of different places - some poems, but also other literature and essays by women. The title itself – ‘No Coward Soul is Mine’ – I borrowed from an Emily Brontë poem as I wanted to pay homage to the courage of women over the centuries who have made their voices heard in the face of belittlement, indifference, or outright silencing. Although the poem is about religious faith, I also choose to interpret it in terms of faith in the human spirit, without which there would be no progress at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment