Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 day ago

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:15 am by Cristina in , , , , ,    No comments
In an interview for Vulture, actress Maggie Gyllenhaal reveals that she's the kind of person who listens to an audiobook of Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own at the dentist's. Our kind of person, then.
Nick Cave seems intense for the dentist’s chair. [Laughs.] I had been listening to him, yeah. God, I take good care of my teeth and it doesn’t fucking matter because I always have cavities. Anyway, I was going to the dentist and I didn’t have anything to listen to. While I was in the waiting room I went to Audible to see if I could find something and they were advertising the audiobook of Juliet Stevenson reading Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own. I listened to that for this long dentist appointment, and I was interested in this idea about halfway through the book of how difficult it is for a woman’s “whole and entire” feminine experience to be expressed because we’re living in a fundamentally masculine world. She [Woolf] uses [Charlotte] Brontë as an example and says that Brontë is an amazing writer, but she’s so angry — understandably so. She’s hiding her writing paper underneath her sewing at the table. She’s full of rage and sadness. All that clouds her writing. I was fascinated by that. Just because a woman is writing doesn’t mean hers is a fully feminine piece of work. Sorry, can you tell I had a lot of coffee today? (David Marchese)
Cosmopolitan TV (Spain) has an article on why Jane Eyre is still relevant in today's feminism.
La novela presentaba a una mujer fuerte que no tuvo miedo de alzar su voz y hablar a los hombres de tú a tú, cuestionando el gris destino de las mujeres de su época, condenadas a ser madres y criadas. Una mujer que se alzaba contra el aplastante machismo y decidía forjar su propio destino.
La novela está plagada de pasajes potentísimos que no representan otra cosa que las bases mínimas para una igualdad entre sexos. (Translation)
Cosmo TV is broadcasting Jane Eyre 2011 this month.

Locus reviews My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows even if the reviewer admits to never having finished Jane Eyre.
Let’s get this out of the way right now: you do not need to have read (or liked) Jane Eyre to enjoy the hell out of My Plain Jane. Over the years I have tried to finish Charlotte Brontë’s “masterpiece” many times and could never get past my frustration with Jane’s willingness to put up with Rochester’s obnoxiousness, nor my questions concerning what the heck happened to Bertha. But take heart, dear readers! The authors of My Plain Jane clearly have their own frus­trations with the classic and, while sticking to the original plot, have managed to take Brontë’s work on with a degree of wit and humor that is irresistible. This novel is pleasure reading at its finest; it delivers fully on its promise of “an adventure of Gothic proportions,” while includ­ing new characters, ghosts, a lot of laughs, and an enormous amount of girl power that still has me smiling.
The basic framework of Jane Eyre remains intact in the My Plain Jane world. Jane is first introduced at the Lowood school in northern Eng­land in 1834. She is an orphan with few prospects and the school is a place of abject misery. Jane responds to an advertisement for a governess and takes a position working for a dark and mysteri­ous man named Edward Rochester who has a young ward named Adele. Over time Jane falls for Rochester, but cannot shake concerns over his strange household, which includes an entire wing she is forbidden to enter. There is a fire and there is a wedding and there is a creepy servant named Grace Poole. But… nothing happens the way you think it will because in this version of the story, Jane sees dead people and, in 1834, there are a lot of dead people. [...]
Mostly though, My Plain Jane is about how girl friendships can save you, and about strong family bonds that prevail in all circumstance and a bit of romance (but not from who you suspect). It also puts that whole “mad woman in the attic” trope to bed, finally, and provides a much more satisfying story for Bertha Rochester. I do hope that authors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows had as much fun writing this novel as I did reading it and that they will turn their talents to other classics as well. (No pressure, but Wuthering Heights could really use their help!) (Colleen Mondor)
EO India interviews Bijoyeti Ghosh, a young entrepreneur.
10) What is your favorite book? For a bookworm this is the most difficult question, it’s like asking which is your favourite child to a mother. But, if I have to narrow down on something classic I would say Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights tops the list of my most favourite books.
The Nerd Daily recommends 'spooky books' for Halloween and includes Wuthering Heights among other classics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment