Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:31 am by Cristina in , , , , ,    No comments
The Guardian highlights one more pretty impressive thing that JK Rowling has now in common with the Brontës:
In a career already filled with extraordinary statistics, JK Rowling is about to achieve another. With Strike, a BBC1 series that starts tomorrow night, the writer joins the small group of British authors who have had all of their novels adapted for cinema or TV.
Confirming that literature was far ahead of other industries in terms of gender balance, her companions in this category are mainly women – the Brontë sisters, Jane Austen, George Eliot – with Charles Dickens and Graham Greene the token men. Characteristically, though, Rowling’s record within this subset is extra-exceptional. Her 11 novels to date – the Harry Potter septet, The Casual Vacancy, and three books about private eye Cormoran Strike – have been screened within 20 years, a remarkably fast turnaround in a business where books can spend decades in pre-production. (Mark Lawson)
The Scotsman reviews Nick Coyle's show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, describes as a
Gothic horror pastiche, with shades of the Brontës and The Turn of the Screw. (Jay Richardson)
Stuff (New Zealand) reviews the film God's Own Country and concludes that,
The resulting film doesn't show the land of Heathcliff and Cathy in its traditional light. Lee talks about a working man's head-down, hands-in-pockets view of the world. The wind whistles throughout, and the film is shot tightly for the most part, or at least until a scene 50 minutes in when the lead character, Johnny, pursues his love interest, Romanian farm hand Gheorghe, up a hill and the vista opens up before them. "It was totally deliberate," says Lee, a very affable, gently-spoken chap with a luxuriant beard. "It was my mission to really show this landscape through my eyes, how I see it, so you see the effect the landscape has on the character.... I hadn't seen Yorkshire depicted in that way before. It was always shown in huge big beautiful wide shots which always look bucolic and pastoral and I knew I didn't want to look at it in that way." (Steve Kilgallon)
One more article on the Brontëite-ness of Ruskin Bond, this time from India Today.
"I was a bookworm from the very beginning and I have to admit I grew up on all the classics. I was my way through Dickens, Brontë sisters and other writers of the day. "We had a very good library at the school and I was made the in-charge of the library, so I had the keys. I would often skip and escape the morning PT, or extra homework in the evening and would escape to the library to read," he said. (Manish Sain)
Another Indian newspaper, Millenium Post, features composer Sajjad Husain.
Sajjad's best score was yet to come in Sangdil (1952) directed by RC Talwar. Lata, Talat Mehmood, Geeta, Asha and Shamshad were at their best in this film based on Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, a timeless love story. (Sharad Dutt)
Linda's Book Bag has writer Julie Stock write a guest post on why she writes 'With Happy Ever After Endings'.
Along the way, I began discovering that romantic fiction didn’t always have a happy ending and what’s more, that some of those books would turn out to be among my favourites. To this day, my favourite Shakespeare play is still Romeo and Juliet, despite the tragic ending. Every time I see the play, or watch a different version of it – West Side Story for example – I still hope the ending will be different, even though I know it won’t. So this would seem to prove that although I don’t mind crying my eyes out for a story that I love, I still want the characters to have a happy ending, or at least a happy ending of sorts. And then there’s the books like Jane Eyre, which hover on the brink of tragedy for so long and then in the final pages, give you back a little hint of hope for the future. That’s another one of my favourites. This all led me to conclude that I like a bit of hope with my tragedy.
Visualistan has an infographic on how many novels, including Jane Eyre, could be read on the time spent on your phone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment