Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    5 days ago

Monday, April 03, 2017

Monday, April 03, 2017 10:41 am by Cristina in ,    No comments
Writer Dominic Utton discusses the importance of location in novels on Writing (Ireland).
From the wiley, windy moors of Wuthering Heights to the grimy London backstreets of Oliver Twist, from Tolkien’s Middle Earth to JK Rowling’s Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where the story happens can be almost as important as the story itself. [...]
It’s tempting, as a writer, to pretend that once I had my initial idea, my characters, my set-up and, now, my location, the words poured out of me in a torrent of inspiration, that the novel arrived complete in my mind and all I had to do was write it down.
Of course, as a writer, I know that’s nonsense. And so I followed the advice of Stephen King. “Do two things above all others,” he said. “Read a lot and write a lot.” I read (and reread) every great book I could think of where the location is as much a part of the story as any character: Wuthering Heights, Tess of the d’Urbervilles, Heart of Darkness… and Oliver Twist, London Fields, Bright Lights Big City.
While Financial Times talks about visiting famous people’s burial places.
Then there is Westminster Abbey. In its Poets’ Corner alone, there are the graves of Chaucer, Dryden, Sheridan, Spenser, Dr Johnson, Browning, Tennyson, Dickens, Hardy, Kipling; as well as memorials for the three Brontë sisters, Jane Austen, Elizabeth Browning, Keats, Byron, Coleridge, Lewis Carroll, George Eliot and TS Eliot. There is no other place on earth within which the ghosts of those who have enriched this earth so abundantly continue to live. (David Tang)
On AnneBrontë.org, Nick Holland discusses 'An Entire Mistake: The Suppression Of The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment