Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:46 pm by M. in , , , , ,    1 comment
Jane Eyre 2006 is one of the five best BBC Period Drama according to Screen Junkies:
This 2006 BBC period drama movie is based on the Charlotte Brontë novel by the same name. In this drama, Ruth Wilson plays Jane Eyre, a young governess. She falls in love with her master played by Toby Stephens.  (breakstudios)
Bethedas Patch talks about summer reading lists:
As I got older, I remember summer reading lists from my English teacher. The burgeoning nerd that I was, I relished receiving the list of 20 books which were “recommended.”  No one was expected to read all of them, but you know darned well that I did!  It was a great introduction to the classics and often led to the discovery of additional books that I read on my own.  I liked Jane Eyre.  Perhaps I would also like a fellow Brontë’s work like Wurthering (sic) Heights.  (I did.)  (Ahn LyJordan)
The Washington Post's Reliable Source suggests a curious game of trying to decipher which quotes belong to Jane Austen, Charlotte or Emily Brontë and the Florida Representative Allen West, known for his purple (email) prose.

The Christian Science Monitor reviews Nom de Plume:
The Brontë sisters wrote under male names, because – as Charlotte Brontë put it - they “had a vague impression that authoresses are liable to be looked on with prejudice.” (Ilana Kowarski)
The Daily Freeman reviews The Literary Ladies’ Guide to the Writing Life by Nava Atlas:
In the book, Atlas introduces us to the private worlds of 12 female pioneers like Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Virginia Woolf, Louisa May Alcott and Edith Wharton. (Paula Ann Mitchell)
Cody Enterprise interviews the local actress Lisa Hayes who also talks about her one-woman-show Jane Eyre:
"I was pursuing my acting career in New York, and I was frustrated at the lack of opportunity for women," Hayes said. "I'd been looking around for material for a one-woman show, and I was reading a biography of Charlotte Brontë, and I suddenly thought, Jane Eyre. It took me about a year to adapt the novel."
The one-woman show soon gained popularity. Hayes' version takes 80 minutes, 25 characters and plenty of energy.
"It just takes a lot of energy, psychic energy, to get geared up for it and have your voice and body warmed up enough to be up there," Hayes said. "If you forget a line, if something happens ... you just have to find a way out of it yourself."
Hayes recalled a performance in which the atmosphere was less than appropriate for the play's 19th century English setting.
"I performed it once in a backyard of somebody's summer home, a wealthy person from New York," Hayes said. "It was a little house on the water and as soon as I started the performance the yacht club across the water was having a party and they had a reggae band. So the entire time I did my show to the background of reggae music. People in the audience told me that it just took them a few minutes to get used to it and they didn't even notice the reggae music. I, however, noticed it the entire time." (Gigi Hoagland)
Livro e Filme (in Portuguese), Nameless post about Wuthering Heights; whatrowdyisreading reviews Wide Sargasso Sea; some of this must be true has reread Jane Eyre; Novel Lines Bookshop, Dovereader, The Compulsive Reader and Splendid Labyrinths post about Charlotte Brontë's masterpiece; Reading While Dreaming reviews Withering Tights; Books are my Boyfriends uploads on YouTube a funny Wuthering Heights clip; The Movie Optimist reviews Jane Eyre 2011.

Categories: , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring me on your blog, pal!

    ReplyDelete