Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:23 am by Cristina in , , ,    No comments
It's definitely one of the topics of the moment, Andrea Arnold's Wuthering Heights. Indie Movies Online has a nice recap on the history of the project, not even forgetting the canary. The Times also comments on James Howson playing Heathcliff.

The Quietus interviews R Loren about new album from Sailors With Wax Wings.
There's a romanticism (in the classical sense) to the album's tonality, but it almost seems like a writerly romanticism rather than the kind of romanticism metal standardly employs, as found in black metal or ambient doom for example. Do you feel this is a writerly record?
RL: That is an intriguing thought and a refreshing question. [Long pause] I suppose the term writerly is a bit subjective going across media, but I gather what you are saying, and I would say I agree completely. For a moment I am driven to think of the Brontë sisters. The aggressive density and grit that something like Wuthering Heights employs, all from the hand of a woman which at the time was both controversial and brought the steady beauty of the femme dreamer to the work...encompassing that fragile balance of beauty and aggression with an overarching melancholy... I definitely feel that coming from this record.
That's so weird. That phrase - 'the femme dreamer' - is the same phrase I use in my mind to discuss that aesthetic in Kate Bush's work. How strange that you'd put your work together with the Brontës and use that precise phrase.
RL: Wow. That is a trip! It is amazing to me that we both chose those words! I have always appreciated Kate's work, but it wasn't until last year that one of my students shared 'Wuthering Heights' with me. Intense stuff. (Petra Davis)
The Orlando Sentinel dares readers to 'name at least 10 famous people named Jane, Jayne or Janie'. The list they then provide includes 'Eyre'.

On the blogosphere, Serendipity posts about Wuthering Heights and Things Mean a Lot reviews Jude Morgan's The Taste of Sorrow.

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment