Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    5 days ago

Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:31 pm by Cristina in , , , ,    No comments
BlogHer user Marinagraphy writes about the six writers who saved her life. One of them is Charlotte Brontë:
Charlotte Bronte: Without the friends that my son relies on for his social development, Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre became my childhood friend. She and I suffered parallel lives, and the first time I met her, when I was around twelve, I couldn't believe someone had imagined my childhood. Jane Eyre and I were both orphaned at a young age; while her parents had died, mine had separated and agreed on giving me away. She and I both ended up being taken in by our rich uncles, whose spoiled children ostracized and openly rejected us. Feeling burdened by our presence, they placed us in orphanages. Even though Jane remained in her orphanage until her eighteenth birthday and I only stayed in mine for one year, we still shared the conflicts of abandonment and seclusion in living in one. And of course, we both became teachers, found love, and discovered madwomen in our attics -- hers was the wife of the man she loved, and mine was the mother that had given me birth and the precarious life I was forced to maneuver without adult aid. Jane showed me courage in the face of abandonment and hypocrisy. She taught me about the kind of determination that is needed to survive loneliness, childhood, toxic people and their selfish vices. She educated me on the necessity of knowing who I was and holding onto my identity even when others fought to change me. She balanced strength and vulnerability, kindness and willfulness, and she became the guardian of my childhood.
The daughter of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle's columnist might share her opinion about the power of books:
My daughter was not raised on television, and I think it's the reason why, at 15 years old, Ariel takes weekly trips to the library and picks up book titles by the likes of Tolstoy and Brontë. (Susan Ashline)
The Yorkshire Post has a brief article on our newest Heathliff, though nothing new is said. And Empire seems to find Wuthering Heights vibes in the trailer of the forthcoming film Brighton Rock.
We'd slightly question the trailer's focus on the actually very un-lovely love story though, which seems to promise a Wuthering Heights vibe we're sure won't actually be there. (Owen Williams)
On the blogosphere, Chrisbookarama reviews Villette, Life according to Lizzy Lizzard posts about Jane Eyre's Daughter by Elizabeth Newark and Literary Legacies Blog has a post - with pictures - on the Brontë moors.

Categories: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment