Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    6 days ago

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:01 am by Cristina in , ,    No comments
Although strictly speaking Elizabeth Gaskell is not BrontëBlog material except in some instances to do with her biography of Charlotte Brontë, the fact that we even have a category under her name speaks volumes as to our admiration for this woman. Her Life of Charlotte Brontë, which is, after all, one of the first - if not the first - modern biographies, may not have been perfect in its development, but it was honourable in its intentions.

Today, September 29th 2010, marks the bicenteneray of her birth and we thought that better than any amount of words we could write ourselves, she would have appreciated the words her friend Charlotte Brontë actually wrote, both to Mrs Gaskell herself and to other friends.

On Mrs Gaskell, the woman, wife, mother and friend:
The letter you forwarded this morning was from Mrs Gaskell--authoress of "Mary Barton": She said I was not to answer it--but I cannot help doing so. Her note brought the tears to my eyes: she is a good--she is a great woman--proud am I that I can touch a cord of sympathy in souls so noble. In Mrs Gaskell's nature--it mournfully pleases me to fancy a remote affinity to my Sister Emily--. . . (to W.S. Williams, 17 November 1849)
After their first meeting,
I was truly glad of her companionship She is a woman of the most genuine talent--of cheerful, pleasing and cordial manners and --I believe--of a kind and good heart. (to Ellen Nussey, 26 August 1850)
Though alone--I am not unhappy; I have a thousand things to be thankful for, and --amongst the rest--that this morning I received a letter from you, and that this evening--I have the privilege of answering it. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 27 August 1850)
My dear Mrs Gaskell,
I dare not but write to you with as little delay as possible. It must be confessed you have an excellent method of spurring to activity any loitering correspondent. Do you know you prove yourself thereby to be somewhat impulsive and very determined? and, indeed, I thought I discerned in you traces of both characteristics during our brief acquaintance in Westmoreland. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 28 March 1851)
I must confess to feeling a little impatience to see you. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 18 June 1851)
The visit to Mrs Gaskell on my way home [...] they were very pleasant [days]. She lives in a large--cheerful airy house, quite out of Manchester Smoke--a garden surrounds it, and as in this hot weather, the windows were kept open--a whispering of leaves and perfume of flowers always pervaded the rooms. Mrs Gaskell herself is a woman of whose conversation and company I should not soon tire--She seems to me kind, clever, animated and unaffected. (to George Smith, 1 July 1851)
Could you manage to convey a small kiss to that dear but dangerous little person--Julia [Gaskell's youngest daughter]? She surreptitiously possessed herself of a minute fraction of my heart, which has been missing ever since I saw her. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 6 August 1851)
What you say of that small sprite Julia amuses me much. I believe you don't know that she has a great deal of her mamma's nature (modified) in her; yet I think you will find she has--as she grows up. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 20 September 1851)
If anybody would tempt me away from home you would, but--just now--from home I must not--will not go. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 6 November 1851)
After you left, the house felt very much as if the shutters had been suddenly closed and the blinds let down. One was sensible during the remainder of the day of a depressing silence, shadow, loss, and want. However, if the going away was sad, the stay was very pleasant and did permanent good. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 25 September 1853)
If it ever should befal you to live a very still lonely life (which I believe it never will, for you are too genial to sink to the obscure lot). . . (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 27 December 1853)
The week I spent in Manchester has impressed me as the very brightest and healthiest I have known for these five years past. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, April 1853)
My dear Mrs Gaskell
Thank you for your letter--: it was as pleasant as a quiet chat, as welcome as spring-showers, as reviving as a friend's visit; in short it was very like a page of "Cranford". (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 9 July 1853)
On Elizabeth Gaskell, the author:
There are parts of "Mary Barton" I shall never dare to read a second time. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 26 September 1850)
I found your note and 'The Moorland Cottage', of which last I have only as yet read the commencement, which I find to be as sweet, as pure, as fresh as an unopened morning daisy. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 4 January 1851)
[Miss Martineau] can never be so charming a woman as Mrs Gaskell--but she is a greater writer. (to George Smith, 4 August 1851)
. . . I have as yet only read three article to wit. Society at Cranford. Love at Cranford. Memory at Cranford. Before reading them I had received a hint as to the authorship which hint gave them special zest. The best is the last--Memory; how good I though it--I must not tell you. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 26 April 1852)
The sketch you give of your work [Ruth] [...] seems to me very noble; and its purpose may be as useful in practical result as it is high and just in theoretical tendency. Such a book may restore hope and energy to many who thought they had forfeited their right to both; and open a clear course for honourable effort to some who deemed that they and all honour had parted company in this world.
Yet--hear my protest!
Why should she die?Why are we to shut up the book weeping?
My heart fails me already at the thought of the pang it will have to undergo. And yet you must follow the impulse of your own inspiration. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 26 April 1852)
I read "Visiting at Cranford" with that sort of pleasure which seems always too brief in its duration: I wished the paper had been twice as long. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 22 May 1852)
As far as I have got in "Ruth"--I think it excels "Mary Barton" for beauty, whatever it does for strength. The descriptions are peculiarly fine. As to the style--I find it such as my soul welcomes. Of the delineation of character I shall be better able to judge when I get to the end, but may say in passing--that Sally, the old servant seems to me "an apple of gold" deserving to be "set in a picture of silver" (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 12 Janueary 1853)
The beauty of "Ruth" seems to me very great. Your style never rose higher nor--I think--have you ever excelled the power of certain passages. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, January 1853)
I have just read "Morton-Hall" Of course I knew whose it was as well as if I had seen the hand, writing it. Capitally and spiritedly told. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, January 1854)
What has appeared [of North & South, serialised] I like well, and better, each fresh number; best of all the last (to-day's). The Subject seems to me difficult. [...] Well--it is good ground, but still rugged for the step of Fiction. [...] It seems to me that you understand well the Genius of the North. Where the Southern Lady and the Northern Mechanic are brought into contrast and contact--I think Nature is well respected. Simple, true and good did I think the last number--clear of artificial trammels of style and thought. (to Elizabeth Gaskell, 30 Setember 1854)
Happy bicentenary, dear Mrs Gaskell.

EDIT: As BBC News reports, here is a nice gift for Mrs Gaskell:

In the week marking the bicentenary of her birth, a unique window panel was unveiled in her honour putting her among the elite of English literature.
Two hundred members of the Gaskell Society were there to commemorate the author of 'Mary Barton' and 'Cranford'.  (...)
The ceremony, short but beautiful in its simplicity, was conducted by the Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr. John Hall.
The reading chosen from the New Testament, in which Christ tells the people to bring the good news to the poor, I think, truly reflected Elizabeth's great concern for the welfare of the poorest members of society.
After a short address by Jenny Uglow, Gaskell's biographer, the actual dedication took place.
Then, a beautiful wreath of lilies was laid under the window, by Sarah Prince, Elizabeth's great-great-great granddaughter.
Lilies were chosen because Elizabeth was known to her family and friends as "Lily"- a nice touch, I felt, as it reminded us of the humanity of Elizabeth who was a wife and mother, as well as a great writer.
After the prayers and final blessing, we all proceeded over to the historic Westminster School where we enjoyed a celebration drink - I'm sure Elizabeth would have approved!
The afternoon ended with actress Miriam Margolyes, reading excerpts from Gaskell's letters - a reminder of just what an entertaining writer she was."
Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment