Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 days ago

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sunday, August 01, 2010 12:11 am by M. in ,    4 comments
Via this Sidney Morning Herald article we have discovered another fashion designer inspired by the Brontës:
The fashion label Nonoo Lyons recently created fitted jackets based on literary characters like Jane Eyre (with a bell sleeve) and Anna Karenina (high-neck, military-inspired). (Samantha Selinger-Jones)
Indeed Nonoo Lyons included a Jane Eyre jacket on its Autumn/Winter 2009 collection, illustrated with the quote:
I rose; I dressed myself with care: obliged to be plain—for I had no article of attire that was not made with extreme simplicity—I was still by nature solicitous to be neat. It was not my habit to be disregardful of appearance, or careless of the impression I made: on the contrary, I ever wished to look as well as I could, and to please as much as my want of beauty would permit. I sometimes regretted that I was not handsomer: I sometimes wished to have rosy cheeks, a straight nose, and small cherry mouth; I desired to be tall, stately, and finely developed in figure; I felt it a misfortune that I was so little, so pale, and had features so irregular and so marked. And why had I these aspirations and these regrets? It would be difficult to say: I could not then distinctly say it to myself; yet I had a reason, and a logical, natural reason too. (Chapter XI)
Categories: ,

4 comments:

  1. I want one too. In black, grey or dark green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I dissent? I mean... I don't see how it's any different from any other jacket you can get on the High Street at the moment. The waist isn't even in the right position! (unless you see Jane Eyre as a Regency book, purely based on the Marmion mention).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of like it too. I don't think it's intended to represent the sort of dress Jane would have worn, just what Jane Eyre 'means' to the designer. That or the fact that it was the first name that sprang to mind ;)

    ReplyDelete