Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 day ago

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:10 am by M. in , , ,    No comments
The Telegraph interviews Gemma Arterton, who for a time was attached to the Wuthering Heights film project now in Andrea Arnold's hands:
As much is evident in Arterton's candid account of her dealings with a much-reported remake of Wuthering Heights. Having at first agreed to play Cathy, she pulled out. 'I felt the wind went out of the sails a bit. I just didn't like the direction it was going in. It became a bit teenybopper.' Then she heard that Andrea Arnold, the director of Fish Tank, was taking the helm. Arterton did a quick volte-face. 'I don't care if it's rubbish, I just want to work with Andrea,' she says, adding that she prefers edgy directors such as Lars von Trier, Michael Haneke and Arnold. 'I'm not really into the blockbuster side, but that's the side I've ended up doing. I never go to see those films.'
Arterton and Arnold met over a cup of tea and bonded over their home towns; Arnold is from Dartford, which is near Gravesend. 'But Andrea sent me an email yesterday saying that she's going for a 16-year-old – probably pure Yorkshire lass.' Arterton shrugs. She was desperate to play Cathy, but 'I'd rather the right person be in it than me be a little bit shit… I know she'll probably make the best Wuthering Heights movie. I love her. I think she's amazing.' (Craig McLean)
City AM reviews At the Chime of a City Clock by DJ Taylor:
Louisa, a heroine that could hold her own against Jane Eyre and Elizabeth Bennett, searches for love and an identity of her own, all the while conflicted with the dilemma of a dictated betrothal. (Zoe Strimpel)
Isthmus Daily Page review the DVD release of The Twilight Saga: New Moon:
But it seems to me a big flaw in the movie, and in the Melissa Rosenberg script -- and, for all I know, Stephenie Meyer's novel -- that so little is given us to show Bella's taste and sensitivity and brains, the qualities that would have helped win her other-worldly beaux. Instead she just keeps mooning and surviving menace, like a Jane Eyre who never reads, never dreams. Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneur, in their low-budget RKO horror classics of the '40s, did romantic horror better, with more poetic heartfelt spookiness. (Mike Wilmington)
And teachers who taught Jane Eyre creatively in the Bristol Pilot, another Brontëite in Personal Finance, Brontë-related questions in a brain teaser in the State College of Florida (Bradenton Herald), SanBobo Blogs reviews Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, Rhiana Reads... reviews positively Kay Woodward's Jane Airhead and peskywhistpaw hosts a Brontë vs Austen poll (Austen winning).

Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment