Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:08 pm by M. in , , ,    5 comments
Melissa Katsoulis lists Wuthering Heights 1939 as one of the 25 best book-to-film adaptations in The Telegraph:
2. WUTHERING HEIGHTS by EMILY BRONTË
Published: 1847
Film adaptation: 1939
Director: WILLIAM WYLER
Brontë’s gothic tale of moors madness gets the William Wyler treatment in this classic movie version starring Merle Oberon as Cathy and Laurence Olivier as Heathcliffe. None of the subsequent adaptations has matched the dark power of the brilliant Wyler’s. Not even the one with Cliff Richard.
A choice with which Mike from Ashton doesn't agree:
Wyler's Wuthering Heights? It's an adaptation of the just the first half of the book,and a pretty sanitised one at that. It definitely doesn't belong on any 'best of' list.
The New York Times reviews the new series The Vampire Diaries and is able to link together Stephenie Meyer, the Brontës and Sylvia Plath:
At first look “The Vampire Diaries” has the feel of something more permissive and less morally rigid than the “Twilight” franchise, which certain sophisticated 14-year-olds I’ve known will disparage as they march back to their rooms to read the Brontës or “The Bell Jar.” (Ginia Bellafante)
Not the only review of this series which mentions something Brontë-related. In the Los Angeles Times:
But what is Abel without Cain? What is Edgar without Heathcliff? Stefan may not be responsible for those recent "animal attacks" but someone is, and that someone is his wickedly blue-eyed brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder, from "Lost"). Damon twinkles where Stefan smolders, kills where Stefan abstains and generally gets all the best lines. (Mary McNamara)
The Scotland vs Holland game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification is analysed in The Guardian. The article begins with a bizarre quote:
Hello. The greatest, saddest love story of our time does not involve Romeo and Juliet, or Heathcliff and Cathy, or even Dawson and Pacey (bromance my foot); it is between Scotland and the World Cup. (Rob Smyth)
A NYT puzzle with mentions to Gordon & Caird's Jane Eyre musical, Blog Andalo posts about Haworth (in Polish), The Squeee and emchi.co.uk talk about Wuthering Heights 2009, Daniella Duncan's Blog posts about Wuthering Heights 1992 and Totally Tina and The Daily Spin Cycle about the original novel with allusions to the Twilight saga.

Categories: , , ,

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking me, but that is not me review. I have edited that post to make that clearer. I will write a review at a later date. Please take a look.

    -Wordbird

    P.S. Whew! Wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - right, thanks for letting us know. We'll edit the post - and we'd love to read your actual review when you have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, and thanks. Please excuse my horrific and embarrassing typo in my first comment. And again, this is a fabulous site. I'll be checking in here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for double posting, but I wanted to let you know that I recently read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, and I see you have a category centered on her. I will be writing a review for that as well. It's one of my all-time favorites. (I mean no slight to the Brontes.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, feel honoured to be linked to. I wouldn't have thought my review would catch many people's attentions, but it's nice to know some people read what I write.

    Thank you once again

    ReplyDelete