Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    1 week ago

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:31 am by M. in , , , ,    No comments
Howard Jacobson remembers in The Independent a personal anecdote using Jane Eyre in order to make his point:
For me to appear in public with my face unwashed, let alone my tie askew, was a disgrace not to be borne. Imagine Jane Eyre being forced to do a stint lap-dancing at Stringfellows and you will have some idea of the moral revulsion I experienced. Only I was primmer than Jane Eyre.
Today's Zaman reminds us of the figure of the Turkish singer Zeki Müren and describing her cinematographic career slips this Jane Eyre reference:
It is interesting that people in Greece, for example, know one of Müren's best-known songs, "Beklenen Şarkı" (The Long-awaited Song), by heart. So coming across a radio recording of this famous Müren composition brings about nostalgia. One instantly remembers the Jane Eyre-esque scenes in the 1954 film of the same name in which Müren sang this song. The film was the story of a young musician (acted by Müren) becoming famous through the help of a wealthy woman.
Caitlin Moran begins her review of Snowdon and Margaret: Inside a Royal Marriage (Channel 4) for The Times like this:
When I was 13, I made one of the biggest changes of my life. I switched my literary tastes from the romantic novels of the 19th century (Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Shirley, Anna Karenina, Far From the Madding Crowd) to the shagging novels of the 20th century (Valley of the Dolls, Bitch and, in particular, the almost literally seminal works of Jilly Cooper).
At the time, I thought that I was making a gigantic mistake, vis-à-vis my formative conceptions of the outside world. In my previous reading matter, I had been dealing with raw, human emotion and struggle - albeit with a higher proportion of house fires and drownings than one would normally expect in the lifetime of a single, unfortunate governess.
Associated Content has a brief essay about Christian Religion in Jane Eyre, The Dragonfly Workshop and Sunnybrook Farm Designs have read Jane Eyre and share a few thoughts on it. Editor Eric is not very impressed by Wuthering Heights. Musings from a Muddy Island reviews Justine Picardie's Daphne. Frisbee discusses Rachel Ferguson's The Brontës Went to Woolworths.

Categories: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment