Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:05 am by M. in ,    3 comments
That's the title of a point-and-click adventure game inspired by the Brontës that is the first project of Really Fancy Games:
Time for a quick introduction to my current project, Clouds Beyond Clouds. The game is a point and click adventure based on the lives and works of the Brontë sisters. Set in a fictional West Yorkshire village, it’s a dark literary mystery in which fiction and history are blurred.
The game is narrative-driven, being both a game about literature and a mystery story in itself, and is designed to reward exploration and create an immersive atmosphere. Roughly translated, this means that there’s lots to look at and you can’t die.
I’m building the game using Flash and Lassie Adventure Studio, a Flash-based development tool for building adventure games. I’ll talk more about this in future posts, but for now suffice it to say that I’m very pleased with it and would happily recommend it to anyone who knows which end of Flash is which.
On a more recent post there's more information:
As children, the Bronte sisters and their brother Branwell created fictional kingdoms with fabulous names like Angria and Gondal, filling notebook after notebook with descriptions of these imaginary worlds. The idea of these making books like this, obsessively filled with tiny writing, drawings and maps, has always appealed to me. When I read the gorgeous Dame Darcy illustrated edition of Jane Eyre, I thought immediately of those books and the idea for the game’s visual style clicked. I wanted it to look like children’s drawings, paper dolls and toy theatres - the imagery of the imagination.
Check the post for more details on the artistic concept and a first draft.

The Guardian Game Pitch Blog has also asked Kerry Turner, creative mind of RFG, about this project:
We pressed her for information on her first development project, a point and click mystery based on the lives and the works of the Brontë sisters. Intrigued? Keep reading!
Explain your game to my mum in 140 words.
It's called Clouds Beyond Clouds, and it's a good old-fashioned scary mystery story set in a strange, dark world based on the lives and works of the Brontë sisters.
The gameplay is inspired by my love of classic graphic adventures - I'm a huge fan of the old Lucasarts stuff, along with their better imitators - but the setting, visual style and tone are something quite different. My biggest inspirations for the feel of the game are Twin Peaks and gothic novels, and the naive, hand-drawn style of the graphics is something of an homage to Dame Darcy.
I'm building the game using Flash and Lassie Adventure Studio, a Flash-based development tool for creating point and click adventures, and it'll be available in both browser-based and downloadable formats.
How do players control the game?
The game has a very simple interface: click an object or area of the screen to walk there, or click and hold to see options for interacting with it. Inventory, options and so on are also very simple. You could play the whole thing using just one finger, if you liked.
What is your background?
I'm a Flash developer by day, which comes in very handy for the technical stuff. As for my games background, I've been playing and thinking about games non-stop since I first played Granny's Garden at school and, in weaker moments, still consider getting a Monkey Island tattoo. To take your question more literally, I'm from Yorkshire, which probably explains the fascination with lonely moors, small towns and the Brontë sisters. (Aleks Krotoski)
But, believe it or not, this is not the only Brontë-inspired game project around. Check this youtube video with an Elven Adventurers PC Adventure Game work in progress based on Wuthering Heights. According to the author, Jason Nicholls:
Brand new PC adventure game. Interactive Fiction. I am currently working on it. Called Wuthering Heights: Emily's Dream.
It's something I've always wanted to do. I live right on the moors where Emily Bronte wrote the book. I go passed the house she used to live. Magical part of England. Finding it hard to think of puzzles for the game. The game is based inside a dream of Emilys before she wrote Wuthering Heights. Basicly the game is the inspiration behind her writing the novel.
Elven Adventurers is a historical Spectrum software house. They promise a release for September.

Categories: ,

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised to see my game mentioned here! I'm Jason from Elven adventurers. The game is coming on well and there will be an official website shortly.
    Any questions please email me at extremeouija@yahoo.co.uk
    The PC Interactive fiction game will now feature movie files of the Bronte area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Jason. Will you please let us know when the website is ready?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure I will let you know when the website is up and running. Btw the game is called Emily's Dream.
    Thanks for the interest.

    ReplyDelete