Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:36 pm by Cristina in ,    No comments
The Telegraph and Argus brings us closer to Bob Littleford's Brontë-inspired works of art.
An artist who has long been inspired by the Bronte sisters is to exhibit in their former home.
Oldham painter Bob Littleford will display new work based on his responses to the Brontes' poems.
Bob worked riveting door handles and as a dustman before becoming a full-time artist in the 1970s.
He turned to the Brontes after hearing Bernard Herrmann's opera adaptation of Wuthering Heights.
Over the years he has exhibited at the Royal Academy and become a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
The exhibition, Resurgam, will be at the Bronte Parsonage Museum from March 8 to April 19. (Clive White)
We always like to see how the Brontës influence not only literary works, but all sorts of other creative areas. In fact, a few months ago, the Yorkshire Post had an article on a few artists whose work had been influenced by the Brontës at some point: Cornelia Parker, Victoria Brookland and Bob Littleford are three of them. In the article the artist explained his approach to the Brontës:
All my adult life I have been an opera lover and one day I was rummaging in a charity shop in Oldham and saw a CD box with the title Wuthering Heights.
To my amazement it was an opera by Bernard Herman and was completely new to me. That evening I played it and I was quite overwhelmed – it was brilliant.
Later, I began to think and feel a little ashamed that I really knew very little about the book of the same name, or the Brontës in general. I had to find out more and within days I had the book Wuthering Heights and a book, Brontë, by Rebecca Fraser. That was it. Quite late in life I had discovered the Brontës and I was well and truly hooked.
One of the strangest parts of all this was that I could so easily relate to it all, it almost felt like reading about myself in parts.
So what does an artist do when he is moved and emotional? He paints.
I attempted to enter and show that other world that the Brontës experienced as my own personal tribute to the tragic and inspirational Brontës. (Nick Ahad)
Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment