Podcasts

  • With... Bethany Turner-Pemberton - Sassy and Sam chat to researcher and curator Bethany Turner-Pemberton. Bethany is PhD candidate in Textiles and Museum Studies at Manchester Metropolitan...
    19 hours ago

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:26 pm by M.   No comments
Some Brontë-related mentions to be found in the press today:

We are used to seeing books compared to some trend of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but now the comparison is with not-being the Brontë sisters. This is how the Dallas Morning News reviews I Gave You My Love But You Sold It Online by Dixie Cash, that happens to be a pseudonym for a couple of half-sisters.
They're not the writing Brontë sisters. But then, Heathcliff never saddled up a cutting horse. And Jane Eyre never had her nails done in a West Texas beauty parlor.
Poet Edward Hirsch's reading on The University of North Carolina Greensboro is reviewed in The Carolinian student paper. We suppose Mr. Hirsch explained this anecdote:
I've written an entire book about my favorite poems. It's called How to Read a Poem and Fall in Love with Poetry. I write about many of the poems I care about most deeply. I explain, for example, my first encounter with Emily Bronte's "Spellbound" when I was eight-years-old (I somehow imagined that my grandfather must have written it!)
Finally, we discover an unexpected Brontëite, John Iverdale, the popular BBC Sports presenter:
And what is your favourite book of all time?
Wuthering Heights.
Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment