Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    1 day ago

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:52 am by Cristina   4 comments
The Tri-City News has an article on students and reading. The writer of the column - a teacher - sort of poses a question:

When I was 16 or so, I read Jane Eyre in my Literature class. I can’t say I understood the novel in any depth being as I was in the throes of adolescent angst. It was only when I went to university that I re-read the novel with a totally different understanding.

What do you think? When it's the 'right' age to read Jane Eyre? We don't consider 16 that young to read. Obviously you will miss bits of it, but then again Jane Eyre is totally different each time you read it - which is probably one of the things that make it such a good novel.

Categories:

4 comments:

  1. 16 is almost too old. You are almost past the uncontrollably hormonal stage then. 13-14 is probably ideal, when everything swooningly sexual is burgeoning happily. On the other hand, it is perhaps a little dangerous to read it when you are so susceptible. I read Jane Eyre when I was 13 or so and can’t help but revert to my girlie self whenever I re-read it. Oh calamity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting insight! I've heard of many people who read it at the same age as you did too. I read it when I was 19, so go figure :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The right age to read 'Jane Eyre'? Well, I was about twelve, the first time I read it, so I came away with Adele for a favorite character and confusion as to what all the fuss about Rochester (who yelled a lot) was. I've been rereading it steadily for some years now, and have noticed and appreciated new things (like Mr. Rochester and the romantic bits), each time. I agree with Liz that age 13 or 14 is just about the right time to read 'Jane Eyre.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Elizabeth!

    Isn't it amazing, though, that we are suggesting Jane Eyre as nearly a quality teenage read when Victorians wouldn't even allow their unmarried daughters to read it? Oh, how the times change!

    I found it very funny that you liked Adèle so much. I do think her character has been quite overlooked, though. As for Mr Rochester - I have always liked him :D

    ReplyDelete