Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    1 week ago

Friday, January 06, 2006

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:47 pm by M.   No comments
The Telegraph publishes an interview with the writer Justine Picardie in which "Justine Picardie resolves to remove some of the clutter from her life". It was very funny to read...until we read these alarming news:

My clutter-free friend is not impressed. "Does this reflect the life you want?" she asks, shaking her head, as she examines the detritus beside my desk. "Imagine coming home, and seeing that your surroundings contain only the things you really love, instead of clinging to objects that keep you in the past."
I tell her that it's not that simple; for these are books and papers that I need for research if I am to get on with writing another book, but she looks sceptical. "You need 15 old copies of Vogue, two pairs of blunt scissors, six credit card bills, a guide to the Brontë Parsonage Museum, the Selected Letters of Nancy Mitford, and last year's Rural Retreats catalogue, all for your new book?" she says.


Fortunately, Ms. Picardie says a little bit later:
"OK," I say, "I don't necessarily need those for the book, but I might need them for something else."
"Ask yourself, 'why?'" she says.
So I'm asking and asking; and as yet, I haven't found the answer. When I do, I'm sure everything will become perfectly clear, including my study (and head); but until then, everything stays here. Except for the bills. They can go straight into the bin.


We don't know if she's preparing another book in which the Brontë story is present or the Brontë guide was just something used in the research of her recently published book "My mother's wedding dress" (that we presented some time ago)... but whatever be the case...please, Mrs Picardie, the Brontë Parsonage Guide should not go to the dustbin.

Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment