Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:19 pm by Cristina   No comments
This might be old news to you, but today we find in the Indian Telegraph an article on Manoj Night Shyamalan where he talks about Wuthering Heights and admits that it was his inspiration for The Village:

The inspired idea: Sometimes people ask me, “What do you want your name to mean in the future?” And I say, “Originality.” That’s what I want it to mean. If I saw a movie that was in the genre or in the vein of something that I liked, I’d probably get discouraged and not write it. I remember I had The Sixth Sense idea years before and I put it away because I heard they were making Casper. I was like, “There goes that. They’re already making a ghost movie…” A lot of times it will be like the kernel of an idea, like The Village was. I had this King Kong idea — you come across this group of people who are doing their chores and incorporated in their chores are these rituals to keep them safe from creatures. I had that, and then they offered me Wuthering Heights. And I read the book again and I was like, “This is the greatest book ever! No to the movie, but I’m going to write my own period piece.” And so in a way, I guess I get inspired by books a lot.

Judging by the ever-growing amount of versions of Wuthering Heights, Shyamalan must be one of the few directors who doesn't want his own one :P

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment