Megan McGinnis: I’m Megan McGinnis, and I’m co-directing this production of Jane Eyre.
I actually started my journey with Jane Eyre in 1998. I auditioned to be in the show and wasn’t cast, but I completely fell in love with the musical after seeing it on Broadway many times.
Then, in 2009, I began working with John Caird and Paul Gordon on Daddy Long Legs. That production really cemented our creative relationship, and when I directed a new American production of Jane Eyre a couple of years ago, they came into rehearsals and continued developing the piece. I suddenly realised I wasn’t directing a finished musical anymore—I was directing something that was still evolving.
When this UK premiere came along, John and Paul invited me to join them as co-director, and I couldn’t be happier that I said yes.
Jane Eyre is one of the great literary masterpieces. What was it about Charlotte Brontë’s story that first spoke to you?
Megan McGinnis: I first read the novel while I was at college, and it came at exactly the right time in my life.
Reading about a woman who was honest about her flaws but still believed she deserved happiness, love and equality was incredibly powerful. Jane never lets society define her worth, even though obstacles are constantly put in her way.
Sadly, it’s also a reminder that many of the issues women faced in the 1840s are still relevant today, which is one of the reasons the story continues to resonate with audiences.
One of the production’s most interesting creative decisions is that the ensemble all become Jane’s voice at different points throughout the story. How does that work in practice?
Megan McGinnis: That’s really the beauty of this adaptation.
Everyone on stage becomes part of Jane’s journey, and because the novel is written from her perspective, the ensemble helps carry that narration in a really theatrical way.
It also means every member of the company has ownership of the storytelling, and that’s something that has made rehearsals incredibly exciting.
0 comments:
Post a Comment