Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    2 days ago

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Saturday, November 19, 2022 1:33 am by M. in ,    No comments
A couple of recent covers of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights:

Matthew Sweet has recently released a very faithful cover:
Sweet, known for his collaborations with guitarists over the years, nevertheless plays the guitar solo on the track as well as all the additional instruments except for the drums, played by longtime Sweet sideman Ric Menck. (...)
“I do love that song, but this got me thinking about a piano and vocal demo I once made of “Wuthering Heights,” the 1978 hit that first brought the 19 year-old Kate to the attention of the world of music. Like Kate herself, I have a strong amount of Irish blood in me, as my mother, like hers, was 100% Irish. In fact, I have dual citizenship between Ireland and America. Maybe this helps account for my always feeling a mystic kinship with Kate, despite our music being worlds apart in so many ways.
Regardless, my wife recently urged me to dig up that demo of mine, and although I couldn’t find a multitrack of it, I did locate a rough of the song I had bounced down many years ago. And so it is I came to overdub some guitars and other instruments and produce this single track for release in tribute to Kate. In this streaming world we live in, there is nothing to stop me from doing so. My friend Ric Menck played drums on this originally, and as it’s turned out, I have played everything else.
The track has no background vocals, in keeping with the original, to preserve the very personal nature of the lyrics and song. It is worth noting that despite the literary origins of the lyrics, Kate is, in fact, the Cathy of the song.Hannah Means-Shannon in Wildfire Music)

The English band Black midi also covers this song in his live concerts. Like this one in London, 13/07/2022:


0 comments:

Post a Comment