Podcasts

  • With... Bethany Turner-Pemberton - Sassy and Sam chat to researcher and curator Bethany Turner-Pemberton. Bethany is PhD candidate in Textiles and Museum Studies at Manchester Metropolitan...
    20 hours ago

Friday, December 13, 2019

Friday, December 13, 2019 10:59 am by Cristina in , , , , ,    No comments
McSweeney's has a brilliant letter from Heathcliff: 'Hello 12-Year-Old Reader, My Name Is Heathcliff and I Am Sorry That I Am About to Ruin Your Future Romantic Life'.
Hi there —
I recently reached the amends stage of my 12-step anger management program, so I’m reaching out to people I’ve hurt and/or whose romantic lives I’m about to ruin for the next thirty years. You came to mind when I saw you lying on your bed, clutching your stuffed animal in a stupor after wrapping up Chapter XXXIV of Wuthering Heights. (You’re 12? What kind of merciless sadist gave you that to read?) (Helena De Bres) (Read more)
The New York Times asks author Deborah Levy all sorts of bookish questions:
What moves you most in a work of literature? I am still moved by the power of Jane Eyre’s furious speech to careless, handsome, Mr. Rochester: “Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?” I sometimes think of Charlotte Brontë inking that speech with her quill and wonder how she felt after she had written it.
Bustle lists some of the movies and TV shows that have been filmed at Chatsworth.
3. 'Jane Eyre' (2011)
Jane Austen wasn’t the only English writer influenced by the Peak District, as Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre features a number of locations throughout the national park. While Brontë’s main influence was North Lees Hall, the gardens at Chatsworth were also used to bring the fictional Thornfield Hall to life in Cary Joji Fukunaga’s 2011 adaptation.
Neighbouring country estate Haddon Hall has been used to depict Thornfield on multiple occasions as well. The two are 30-minute drive apart, so you could totally make a Brontë day trip out of these locations. (Sophie McEvoy)

0 comments:

Post a Comment