Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    9 hours ago

Friday, November 15, 2019

Charlotte Brontë's little book will go under the hammer on Monday, but you remember you can still help bring it home to the Brontë Parsonage. The Yorkshire Post features the crowdfunding campaign.
More than 600 people have contributed to an online “crowdfunder” appeal to bring a miniature book handwritten by the 14-year-old Charlotte Brontë back to Yorkshire.
The hand-stitched volume, measuring less than two-and-a-half inches, is to be auctioned in Paris on Monday afternoon, and is expected to fetch at least £650,000.
The museum at the Brontë family’s parsonage home at Haworth hopes to return it there, to sit alongside others written by Charlotte.
It has been applying to charitable trusts to raise the funds, and hopes to secure the final £80,000 though its online appeal.
“We’re currently at 626 donors, pledging gifts totalling almost £58,000,” aid a spokesman at the museum. “We will be continuing to accept donations up until 11am on Monday.”
The TV dramatist Sally Wainwright, whose film about the Brontë sisters, To Walk Invisible, was filmed partly at Haworth, said Charlotte’s little book belonged there.
“A shy, brilliant 14-year-old girl wrote this book in Yorkshire in 1830, with very little idea that one day she would be a global literary superstar,” Ms Wainwright said.
“We have to bring this book back to Yorkshire, where it was written, where it belongs.”
The poet laureate, Yokshire-born Simon Armitage, has promised a bottle of Laureate’s Choice sherry, a traditional perk of his honorary title, to the donor who takes the total past £80,000.
RTE (Ireland) also has an article about the campaign.

Daily Nation (Kenya) asks Jerry Sesanga, a Ugandan author, journalist, actor and filmmaker, all sorts of bookish questions.
What are the three most memorable books you have read so far, and what makes them so? My first pick is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I read it while in my early years of secondary school and it changed my life. Pip’s story was my story. Even today, my path to success follows the same storyline.
My second pick is Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. Heathcliff was just me, with so much passion and life.
The novel just drove me crazy that till now, I have never found any match of character to Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw. (Kariuki Wa Nyamu)
Psychology Today claims that reading can help focus your attention away from the screen.
Regular reading invites nuanced and intimate insights into human nature. Reading can temper your scattered attention and bring it into focus. Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre or Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon, for example, offer multifaceted characters that make you pay attention and plumb your empathy to unpack them if you are to experience the emotional satisfaction that literature provides. Reading in depth about Jane Eyre’s struggles with self–worth or Milkman Dead’s masculinity in Solomon, you gradually come to cultivate deeper awareness about your own feelings and the world around you. (Richard E. Cytowic M.D.)
The Guardian 'Lecretia Seales [who] fought in vain for the right to have a say in her death, but she blazed a trail'.
“I am not afraid of dying, but I am petrified by what may happen to me in the lead-up to my death,” Lecretia said at the time. “My greatest fear is that my husband will have a mad wife to deal with, like Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre. As far as I’m concerned, if I get to a point where I can no longer recognise or communicate with my husband, then for all intents and purposes, I will already be dead.” (Matt Vickers)
If you're in the area and looking for a house, Chicago Mag has selected several Victorian beauties so that you can 'Live Like a Brontë'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment