Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    7 hours ago

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016 9:18 am by M. in , , ,    No comments
Star2 (Malaysia) celebrates female Victorian writers:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë: This was probably my very first Gothic romance novel, and I was too young to fully understand the nuances and subtexts of the story when I picked it up at about age 11. And yet, I absolutely loved the brooding Mr Rochester, Jane’s gradual growth, and the drama of the story’s setting. When I read it again as an adult, I was struck by the power of the language Brontë uses and the way it depicts Jane’s inner landscape. (...)
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë: I’m not actually sure that I like Wuthering Heights at all, but I do know that I am fascinated and intrigued and horrified by it. It is such a deeply dramatic story, with so much passion and madness, reading it is both emotional torment and catharsis. I’m also awed by how scandalous it would have been for Emily to publish such a book, and how she shatters so many of the taboos of her time with it. (Sharmilla Ganesan)
The Columbian (Canada) talks about the Naughty Niche Night at the Niche Wine Bar in Vancouver:
“It’s funny, I hadn’t read much romance other than Jane Austen and the Brontë sisters,” [the writer Peggy] Bird said — all of whom lived in England nearly 200 years ago and wrote mannered, melodramatic soap operas (both serious and satirical) that starred passionate, repressed women — and even more passionate, repressed men. (Scott Hewitt)
Liz Jones's Diary in the Daily Mail has a Jane Eyre reference today:
Me: ‘Favourite novel?’
Him: ‘Don’t know. No idea.’ (He is not helped by the fact I read novels on my iPad these days, so he never gets to see a book jacket. But for future reference it’s Jane Eyre, Tess of the D’Urbervilles, The Time Traveler’s Wife…)
Leftlion lists things to do in Nottingham including the Chapterhouse Theatre production of Wuthering Heights. But take care because the announced date (August 10th) seems to be at odds with the ChapterHouse Theatre tour date (August 20th):
“Heathcliffe (sic)! It’s me, I’m Cathy, I’ve come home and I’m, so co-o-o-old” Sang our Kate Bush back in 1978. Not actually a song from the play, but you know, if the shoe fits. This week, the immense summer of outdoor theatre is bringing you the Emily Brontë classic, set in the grounds of Nottingham Castle. Watch Cathy and Heathcliffe frolick on the moors before she runs off to marry her cousin and he kidnaps her daughter before digging up ode Cathy’s grave. A love story if ever we heard one! Pack your brollies just in case, and treat yourself to a picnic an’ all. Who doesn’t like a peanut butter sarnie to go with their incestuous relationships?
Wednesday 10(??) August, 7pm, £10/£15, The Castle
Tidningen Kulturen (Sweden) reviews the novel The Misbegotten by Katherine Webb:
Rachel anställs för att läsa högt för Jonathan och det växer fram en vänskap mellan de två. Deras konversationer påminner ibland om de mellan Jane Eyre och Mr Rochester. Hon försöker komma på pigga och uppbyggliga saker att säga (och inte låta sig skrämmas) och han är mest vresig och butter, men tinar upp så småningom. (Belinda Graham) (Translation)

0 comments:

Post a Comment