Podcasts

  • With... Bethany Turner-Pemberton - Sassy and Sam chat to researcher and curator Bethany Turner-Pemberton. Bethany is PhD candidate in Textiles and Museum Studies at Manchester Metropolitan...
    17 hours ago

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:20 am by Cristina in , , , ,    No comments
A teen has written an article for The Guardian asking to enjoy the books they are studying at GCSE.
At the beginning of the course, I did quite enjoy Of Mice and Men, but a year down the line I ended up slamming my head on the table many a time as I thought about the pain of reading Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights or Romeo and Juliet and having to analyse the characters and themes. I didn’t want to read about Cathy and Heathcliff’s destructive relationship or tragic Shakespearean lovers; I wanted something exciting, something to make me think instead of wanting to cry every time I opened the pages. (WordsareLife)
Garuyo (Mexico) would love to see an actual flesh-and-blood Heathcliff.
2. Heathcliff / Cumbres borrascosas
Logró convertirse en todo  un millonario y, según la escritora Emily Brontë, él es alguien muy tosco casi sin sentimientos. Ajá, ahí su encanto: Heathcliff es el hombre “imposible y rudo” que queremos enamorar. Todo un reto. (Claudia Aguilar) (Translation)
Los Angeles Review of Books features Elizabeth Strout's My Name is Lucy Barton.
We know Lucy through her longing, through her hunger, much as we know her namesake in Charlotte Brontë’s Villette. Just who she is — the mystery behind the name and the desire — haunts the pages and the reader of Strout’s newest novel.
Names always take prominence in Strout’s works (consider the titles The Burgess Boys, Olive Kitteridge, Amy and Isabelle), and Lucy Barton is no exception. Nineteenth-century in cadence, evoking George Eliot, Wilkie Collins, and Charlotte Brontë, Lucy Barton literally means “light from the barley farm.” Indeed. (Katherine Montwieler)
The Millions is looking forward to Dana Spiotta’s new book, Innocent and Others, and quotes her as saying
This year, since I am reaching the milestone of what is optimistically referred to as “middle age,” I want to return to those books that I read so long ago. From The Red and the Black and Jane Eyre to Manchild in the Promised Land and The Basketball Diaries. And many more books that I remember loving. Will I still love them? They are the same of course, but maybe it will be a measure of how much I have changed. What I now think is engaging and moving and beautiful. What I think is funny. What I think is true (with all my experience as a person and a reader). Or maybe not, maybe my connection to these books of my youth will be exactly the same. I wonder if my young self will be in those pages, waiting for me. (Edan Lepucki)
Cine Vue reviews the film The Lure which
is directed with such brio, with the air of a Gothic musical romance - it's a disco-era Wuthering Heights - and Kuba Kijowski's colourful photography really stands out. (Ed Frankl)
Le Monde (France) is also reminded of Wuthering Heights when looking at Ann Demeulemeester's Autumn/winter 2016 for men.
 Il y a aussi un peu du Heathcliff des Hauts de Hurlevent dans cet homme-là avec une touche de Marquis de Sade : une personnalité complexe qui saura se défendre dans le monde d’aujourd’hui. (Carine Bizet) (Translation)
Melanie Reid mentions Charlotte Brontë in her column in The TimesDaily Kos has a Jane Eyre comic strip. Revista GQ (Spain) interviews writer Irvine Welsh, who is said to be a fan of the Brontë sisters. 24 Dash reports HearFirst, a 'Lancashire-based company, which delivers a full range of equality, Deaf and disability related training courses to organisations across the UK', as having 'already secured a number of new clients including Brontë Parsonage Museum'. MoviePilot comments on the composite sketches of literary characters but makes a muddle of showing Mia Wasikowska as an apt lookalike for Jane Eyre's sketch. Booksploitation reviews Patricia Park's Re Jane.

0 comments:

Post a Comment