Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    2 days ago

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:05 am by Cristina in ,    No comments
The New Criterion quotes from Wuthering Heights in order to describe glamour.
One of the best descriptions of glamour isn’t a description of glamour at all. In Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë’s dark and stormy novel, Catherine Earnshaw explains to her maid Nelly the intense hold her dreams have over her: “I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they’ve gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.”
Like Earnshaw’s dreams, glamour colors the way we see the world and changes how we want to experience it. The promise it offers—an escape from the ordinary business of life, communion with beauty, and transcendence—is intoxicating. But it is also dangerous and deceitful. Glamour glosses over reality and presents a picture of how life ought to be. When we try to collect on its false promise, we get in trouble. (Emily Esfahani Smith)
The Fort Wayne News-Sentinel does its bit for reading... and for keeping gender stereotypes:
Now for young readers: I know they are “Hunger Game” fans, and I can understand that. But please do not forget the wonderful books that have been written throughout the years that should be part of everyone’s education. Each year I suggest some, like the Brontës' and Jane Austen’s books for girls and Jack London’s and John Steinbeck’s for boys. Edgar Allan Poe can still fascinate young readers, and Guy de Maupassant is still one of the best short-story writers ever. (Betty Stein)
Annabella Lwin of Bow Wow Wow talks to The Huffington Post and recalls,
"My mum took me to London. But then I ended up going to the countryside -- because my mother had family all in the countryside. You know, Cathy and Heathcliff? -- yeah, that was the kind of area I was brought up in." (Gregory Weinkauf)
The Bontë Parsonage Facebook Page brings our attention to the fact that there's a writing competition with the subject 'Inspired By My Museum' organised by the British Council and Sampad. Click here for further details.

0 comments:

Post a Comment