Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    4 months ago

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:07 pm by M. in    4 comments
The staff at the South Mississippi Sun Herald are reading Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair:
Sara Greer, page designer
Jasper Fforde's "The Jane Eyre Affair" was everything I needed at the time I was reading it - hospital waiting rooms are pretty dull on their own. LiteraTec operative Thursday Next is swept up in a chase to capture the third most dangerous man in the world, a man who has kidnapped Jane Eyre from Thornfield Hall and upset the rhythmic balance of the literary world. Full of inside jokes only fans of Shakespeare, Dickens and Bronte will fully appreciate, this book is a fun twist on the typical murder mystery. Fforde continues the idea of literary mayhem further in his Nursery Crime series, and I plan to tackle those when I finish Thursday Next.
My Stardust Trail posts a short review of The Eyre Affair as well.

And yet another review today. Although now it is The Thirteenth Tale's turn, as reviewed on Clutch Cargo Lips.
If you are a fan of gothic novels, this book is a must. Even if you’ve never read a Gothic novel, you should still check this book out. It is a can’t-put-it down/stay-up-all-night kind of read.
Incidentally, a few days ago we posted about the 15 minutes' recommended time for reading the classics. The author of that review actually seems to have read Wuthering Heights that way!

Categories:

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get through The Eyre Affair now and am having trouble with the style in which it is written.

    As for reading Wuthering Heights in 15-minute segments - it worked for me at the time. I doubt I would have that will power now though.

    Thanks for the visit and the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about you struggling with The Eyre Affair. I love that series. Have you only just begun it or are you well into it by now?

    Yes, I guess it takes *a lot* of willpower to read Wuthering Heights that way!

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've pretty much just begun. My daughter's friend recommended to me when she heard my nanowrimo was a time travel story. It might be that I'm not a fan of detective novels - and it reads like one. (I had the same problem with the Artemis Fowl books)

    I'll give it another hundred pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, do give it another 100 pages. But if by then you're not into the story then it's not your cup of tea. The book is along the same line the whole time. I really do hope you'll be grabbed!

    ReplyDelete