Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Friday, May 12, 2006

Friday, May 12, 2006 4:25 pm by Cristina   No comments
NH Public Radio gives you the chance to get immersed in Bernard Taylor's Wuthering Heights:

The North American premier of Wuthering Heights, The Musical takes place beginning this weekend at The Acting Loft in Manchester. We'll talk with artistic director Chris Courage about the challenges of undertaking such a big production. And we'll speak with lead actress Candace Glickman about inhabiting the role of Catherine. British composer Bernard Taylor will also join us and explain why his ambitious musical adaptation is the first ever to be approved by the Bronte Society.

You can listen to this through their website or through this direct link. It is 30 minutes long and very worth it: interesting comments and beautiful music, what else can you ask for? Honestly, "I Belong to the Earth" is really, really wonderful.

Not leaving the Heights we sail to the other side of the pond where icCheshire chats with Michelle Hardwick who plays Cathy in the stage version that's currently touring the UK:

She explains: 'I jumped at the chance to play Cathy. I love the character, she is so feisty and hot headed and speaks her mind. I think she represents what we'd all like to be.

Really? I'm not sure I would like to be Cathy.

'When I was younger I enjoyed the novel by Emily Bronte, plus I'm from Yorkshire and have visited the moors quite a lot. I played Juliet in Romeo and Juliet when I was in my 20s and now I'm in my 30s I'm being given the chance to play this role so I'm over the moon.' [...]
'The audience has to remember it is an adaptation of the novel. It wouldn't be possible to recreate all of the novel on stage as we would be there for eight hours or more! So in some cases the speeches which are in the novel are tied up in two sentences in the play.
'It lasts about two and a half hours, so it's not too long. Essentially it is a tragic story but there are comic elements within the script. There are beautiful costumes, fabulous sets, a brilliant cast and great story. It will tug on the heart strings of the audience.

Bernard Taylor and Chris Courage also answer a similar question in the NH Public Radio interview concerning their own version.

'It has attracted a mixed audience, we've had people from all age groups apart from young children. It would be great if we could encourage school kids to come along and see it, especially if they are studying it.'

Hee - we are sure some of those are there to see Percy Weasley Edgar Linton played by Chris Rankin :)

Wuthering Heights is in Crewe these days:

To see Wuthering Heights at Crewe's Lyceum Theatre from Monday, May 15-Saturday, May 20 call 01270 537 333. Tickets from £7.50-15.50.

Don't think twice about going!

Categories: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment