Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    3 weeks ago

Monday, February 27, 2006

Monday, February 27, 2006 12:23 am by M.   3 comments
The Guardian reviews again (check this old post for a previous review) the Naxos audio version of Jane Eyre read by Amanda Root:

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë, read by Amanda Root (20hrs 35mins unabridged, Naxos, £55.25)
The least daunting of Motion's top 10, Charlotte Brontë's long-suffering governess classic is available in several abridged versions, read variously by Joanna David, Emma Fielding and others, but be advised: this is not a book whose corners can be cut if you want to get the full effect, and Amanda Root's portrayal of the plain but passionate heroine is as affecting as any I've heard.


Categories: , ,

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you for a very good blogsite about the Brontes. At the moment I am watching Jane Eyre with William Hurt and Charlotte Gainsbourg. Do you know the number of Jane Eyre-films?
    /Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Amanda Root's audiobook of Northanger Abbey and it is wonderful. I think I have one of her reading Persuasion, too, but now I'm beginning to think I dreamed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas, here you can find a really comprehensive list of all the films based on the Brontës or their works. Though it's in Italian, it's pretty straightforward. You can always ask us (also by mail, see top of sidebar) or use the IMDb. We hope that helps!

    Mags - judging by those samples, she sounds great. I just hope you weren't dreaming about Persuasion :P Incidentally I'm currently reading Northanger Abbey :)

    ReplyDelete