Nestled within the Yorkshire countryside, Haworth was the former residence of the Brontë sisters: Charlotte, Emily and Anne, whose surrounding moorlands provided inspiration for Emily's novel Wuthering Heights. Their ancestral home has been converted into a museum, cementing Haworth's status as an essential stop for enthusiasts of English literature. (Christopher Megrath)
That use of ancestral deserves The Princess Bride's reply of 'You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means'.
Derbyshire Times also suggests an autumnal trip to Hathersage.
4. HathersageHathersage has strong literary connections - having inspired Charlotte Brontë while she was writing Jane Eyre. The nearby North Lees Hall (pictured here) also became the main inspiration for Thornfield Hall. (Tom Hardwick)
BookTrib features The Water House by Nneoma Ike-Njoku.
Where did this book even come from? “The novel started out as my thesis during my MFA at Cornell,” the author explains. “I had this idea of a girl and her brother, this sibling relationship, which is at the heart of the novel. The dynamics of this family and the relationship between the siblings, and the roots of all of that, was also something I was interested in very early on. I read Jane Eyre for the first time in graduate school (late, I know!) and soon after that I read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, and I was mind-blown. The Gothic as a vehicle for the story of this family started to appeal to me early on, this picture of a house that’s no longer able to hold its secrets, and the novel grew from there.“Jane Eyre and Rebecca both play with things that are revealed and the things that are kept hidden, both from the characters and from the reader. I was also very fascinated by black Gothic, with books like Toni Morrison’s Beloved and Octavia Butler’s Kindred, and a lot of Buchi Emecheta’s work, like Second Class Citizen, which plays with the idea of not just physical confinement but psychological confinement within systems. Add to that the burden of innocence on a character when human beings and circumstances conspire to paint you guilty or deprive you of a voice.” (Neil Nyren)
Cosmopolitan (Spain) highlights the fact that during an interview with Jack Edwards, Nicole Kidman mentioned reading the Brontës when growing up. 'Then I moved into the Brontës and all of the yearning', as she put it.
More pop culture: Business Insider reviews Taylor Swift's four new tracks and finds Brontë echoes in Patient Zero:
Swift subverts the classic "scorned woman" trope by recounting these wrongs, not with vengeful rage, but with calm, chilling clarity. "When the fever turns a dreamer into a pathetic ghost / If he's killing you, I see you, I was patient zero," she sings in the song's final lines.She's like Bertha Mason in the attic, warning Jane Eyre of Mr. Rochester's evil, or Rebecca, hovering like a wraith over her murderous husband's estate; she's the woman who haunts the narrative long after she's gone. (Callie Ahlgrim)
No comments:
Post a Comment