Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    2 days ago

Monday, May 16, 2016

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:07 am by M. in , , , ,    No comments
Five things Jacqueline Wilson can't live without in the Daily Express:
Reading has always been one of my greatest passions and my favourite authors are Anne Tyler, Kate Atkinson and Charlotte Brontë.
The latest episode of The Simpsons (S027E21, Simprovised) contains a Brontë reference as thought by Homer Simpson:


Vice interviews the singer Heloïse Letissier (aka Christine and the Queens) :
How many books have you actually read and finished in the past year? Don't lie.
None. I used to read so much when I was young – I like to speak like I'm 60 years old. I was lost in literature; Dickens, Brontë, French poetry. And then Facebook and YouTube arrived in my life and I can't hold attention for more than a few pages of a book. I'm sorry. I'm ashamed for my family because they're teachers. (Hannah Ewens)
FemaleFirst interviews the writer Mavis Cheek:
My favourite book is Jane Eyre. She's a catch-all heroine. As a child reading the book for the first time I identified with her suffering and being an outsider, as a young woman trying to find my way in the world she was part of the road and now, later, I'm aware also of how groundbreaking both the book and its self-determining heroine were.
The Celebrity Q&A Examiner interviews executive producer Kerry Ehrin about the TV series Bates Motel:
Beyond the Hitchcock mythology and themes of mental illness, would you say that a large theme within the show kind of reflects on Brontë's novels and the idea of loving someone who you know isn't right to love in the way that you love them? (Carla Hay)
Ehrin: There's a huge influence. (...)
So you need people to kind of buy into this love story so that they're on the ride with them. And nobody does that better than the Brontë. And I actually studies Victorian lit in college, so it was a huge influence on me and it was I think probably a personal thing to me to really try to pull out that Gothic romantic doomed lovers, but that at the same time that you desperately wanted things to work out for them. It’s a larger-than-life love is what it is and no one does it better than the Brontës.
A reader of Gulf News reviews Wuthering Heights:
This novel is so deep and ambiguous that it is open to many interpretations. This makes it a rather unique masterpiece.
This novel makes me think about how we as humans judge others. Even if we love them, we are judgmental and our high expectations and desires make us err, resulting in broken hearts and hurtful relationships. (Ummehani Habiby)
The Guardian reviews Paul McCartney: The Biography by Philip Norman:
Equally disconcerting is the assertion that Kate Bush’s agile vocals on 1978’s Wuthering Heights made Yoko’s discordant wails “sound positively mainstream”. Uh, no.

0 comments:

Post a Comment