Podcasts

  • With... Emma Conally-Barklem - Sassy and Sam chat to poet and yoga teacher Emma Conally-Barklem. Emma has led yoga and poetry session in the Parson's Field, and joins us on the podcast...
    2 days ago

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Sunday, February 08, 2015 9:00 am by M. in , ,    No comments
DNA (India) remembers a personal experience:
A few years ago, I dragged my own two brats around the Van Gogh museum. True to type, they were non-cooperative and therefore banished to a café to resuscitate their flagging spirits, I walked the halls, tears streaming down my cheeks at the sheer beauty and tragedy of it all. Tortured souls have a special place in my heart; my favourite literary character is Brontë’s Heathcliff, go figure. (Shweta Bachchan Nanda)
British Weekly interviews the writer Martine Bailey:
Bailey says her most unexpected praise was from the author Fay Weldon. “She said I had created a new genre, Culinary Gothic,” says Bailey. “As my twin loves are historical food and the Gothic atmosphere of novels such as Jane Eyre and Rebecca, I am over the moon.” (Gabrielle Pantera)
Vicky Allan in The Herald on Sunday didn't like the Fifty Shades phenomena at all:
As a teenager I went through a phase of reading Mills & Boon, initially for a laugh, but also later a little compulsively, and I don't think it did me any good. They so often seemed to follow the same old pattern of distant, arrogant, controlling male, whose heart, like Christian Grey's in Fifty Shades Of Grey, is heavily-armoured, finally falling for the charms of a passive but warm-hearted selfless female. I don't just blame Mills & Boon, I also blame some of the classics. My appreciation of the sweet agonies of Jane Eyre's relationship with Mr Rochester, probably helped shaped my sense of the power dynamics of romance. We learn from the books we read, the films we watch, as much as from our parents and those around us, what romance and desire are. 
The Sunday Charleston Gazette-Mail discusses romance novels:
Then came the Gothic one-two punch of “Wuthering Heights” and “Jane Eyre,” both published in 1847 by the romantically ill-fated but talented Brontë sisters. Like “Pride and Prejudice,” “Jane Eyre” has never gone out of print.  (Suzy McGinley)

0 comments:

Post a Comment