Podcasts

  • With... Adam Sargant - It's our last episode of series 1!!! Expect ghost, ghouls and lots of laughs as we round off the series with Adam Sargant, AKA Haunted Haworth. We'll be...
    15 hours ago

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:17 am by Cristina in , , , , ,    No comments
Forbes has interviewed Cary Fukunaga about his new TV series True Detective. His work on Jane Eyre 2011 is mentioned as well.
So how did you get involved in the True Detective project?[...]
This kind of came at the right time, just as I was finishing up Jane Eyre, having to collapse a 700-plus page novel into less than two hours, which is a special exercise. [...]
Some of the very best moments of the show so far are the quietest.
I think I learned discipline on Jane Eyre. Charlotte Brontë’s dialogue, the intellectual duel between Rochester and Jane Eyre’s character is so compelling that you didn’t have to do much with the placement of cameras. It was up to the actors to do most of it.  The tete a tete they have by the fireplace I literally just put the camera over each actor’s shoulder and let them do their best work. At times it felt like I should be doing something else instead of just sitting there. But it was the right thing.
I knew that what was going on in these interrogations was going to be really interesting. Especially contextualized and juxtaposed with the past. So my idea was to be as simple as possible. No reason for shaky hand-held cameras. Just set the camera down and let the actors do their work. [...]
I gather  you had some snake wranglers on the set to keep things safe. Not so much of that in Jane Eyre, I gather.
Not a lot of poisonous snakes in Northern England. (Allen St. John)
Perhaps not poisonous snakes, but Pendle Today reminds its readers that 'The North [of England] has much to offer', including Brontë country.

This is what a columnist from the Long Beach Union Weekly is planning to do on Valentine's Day.
So it all comes down to: how am I going to spend love-day? Well, anyone who knows me knows that Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë is my favorite novel. There’s one quote I’ll share that explains why. Jane once said, “I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.”
Those words emanate the philosophy that I’ve worked so hard to attain.
In honor of me and how happy that novel makes me, I’m going to sit on my couch this Valentine’s Day with a huge, warm blanket while wearing the comfiest PJs that I own, and I’m going to watch the two Jane Eyre DVDs that I have: a two-hour adaptation and a four-hour one. (Irene Refuerzo)
Still, with V-Day approaching it's always easy to find blunders on sites not used to discussing books (even if they should be). According to the NY Homeschooling Examiner,
Among the romantic books selected for the high school reading list is “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, “Romeo and Juliet” by Shakespeare, “Jane Eyre” and “Wuthering Heights” (both by Charlotte Brontë) and “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder. (Meagan Meehan)
And according to The Washington Post, if a child likes reading it's because he/she 'prefers Freud':
There’s even “Dracula,” “Jane Eyre” and “Crime and Punishment” for the precocious read-a-holics who prefer Freud over foosball. (Thomas Heath)
Picture source
io9 features this creation by artist Adam Mazur.
Poor Jane. All she wanted was to marry a virtuous young man. But her mother, treated so poorly by her husband, claims there is no such thing and sabotages all suits for Jane's hand. By eating the suitors.
After seeing this, good luck not wondering what Victorian literature would have been like if it included dinosaurs. Jane Eyre? Dinosaur governess. Oliver Twist? Dinosaur Fagin. Tess of the d'Urbevilles? ALL DINOSAURS.
Prompted with the letter "V," artist Adam Mazur came up with "Victorian Velociraptor with Violets." And it's hard to argue with a mind like that. Or its results. (Katharine Trendacosta)
ABS CBN News lists '10 Pinoy movies based on books'. One of which is
9. "Hihintayin Kita sa Langit" (based on Emily Brontë’s "Wuthering Heights") (1991)
Starring: Richard Gomez, Dawn Zulueta, Eric Quizon, Jackie Lou Blanco, Michael de Mesa
What it’s about: Loosely based on the classic "Wuthering Heights," "Hihintayin Kita sa Langit" is about a couple forced to separate. Because of the difference in their social stature, Carmina’s (Zulueta) family tries everything to keep her from falling in love with adopted boy Gabriel (Gomez). (Fidea Encarnacion)
Vulpes Libris discusses the Brontës' juvenilia. Meat and Potatoes writes about Wide Sargasso Sea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment